Multiple Users Sharing iPhoto library

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13
New to Mac world and need some direction. I would like both users on my BMP to have full access to iPhoto library. I have seen several approaches outlined but wanted to confirm that these remain the only way as posting I saw were about a year old and I am on a new machine.

1. External hard drive approach. (which I am not interested in)

2. Disk Image approach. My concern with this approach is that some of the setup options outlined in the article (iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users) do not show up on my menu - specifically the link calls for 'sparse disk image' in the format field, but my menus do no include anything like that.

Seems like such an obvious function it seems odd that it requires anything more than pointing iPhoto at the Shared directory and changing permissions.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I did this by moving the iPhoto picture file to the Users>Shared folder. Has worked like a charm with no problems.

Reaction score
Shared and User I-photo Library

Hello. I made a shared i-photo library but seem also to have the old one, exactly the same under my own user name. The shared one is showing 85GB, mine is showing 47.3GB, both with the same number of files and events.

Why are they different sizes and can I delete my own user name photo library without losing the shared one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.