logo project

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i am working on a project in school where i have to recreate an Olympic logo so i chose a England one... (my favorite place, even though i have never been there.) my logo is not done yet but i'd figure i would show it to get some opinions especially from people who live there.

here is the one they have now

2012_logo_white_385x450.jpg

and mine.

london2012.jpg

any thoughts

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I saw the first one and was like wow that really good. Then I realize that was the original. >_<"

Have you exhausted your ideas or is this just your first idea? Not trying to be mean but I'm getting red cross from it. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
that is the english flag.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
so you liked the first one i have read so many bad reviews of it and people in England saying that they hated it. and that the logo was not worth 400,000 pounds

this is just one of my first ideas yes. and it is the english flag just a cropped view of it... i still have a few more things i want to do to it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
so you liked the first one i have read so many bad reviews of it and people in England saying that they hated it. and that the logo was not worth 400,000 pounds

this is just one of my first ideas yes. and it is the english flag just a cropped view of it... i still have a few more things i want to do to it.

Well I like the way that it looks, not that it cost 400,000 pounds to make. That's a ludicrous amount of money for something like that. The reason why I like it is because it looks modern and edgy...but not everyone has that aesthetic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Modern and edgy? Yeah, for a 1991 snowboard design, maybe.

I think it screams "try-hard" - and $400,000???? That's the Olympcrooks for you.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a lot of designer were saying it looks like lisa simpson doing a personal favor for london...lol now that is all i ever see when i look at it.

i am trying to make something more tied to england so i chose to flag. like said though it is just my first design and a partial one at that..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4
I don't like the existing logo at all. Ugh. It shouldn't be hard to top.

Regarding your logo, I get that the red cross reflects a bit of the British flag, but there's nothing in your logo that says Olympics or even sports. I think you pretty much HAVE to include the five interlocking rings somewhere. If the logo's going to say "London," then you don't NEED to say U.K. with iconography as well ... though you could if you really want to.

Try again. Include the rings. Make it say "sports" or "competition" or "best in the world" with your iconography. Keep everything simple including your typography. <cliche>Less is more.</cliche>

Good luck. Hope you get an A.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't like the existing logo at all. Ugh. It shouldn't be hard to top.

Regarding your logo, I get that the red cross reflects a bit of the British flag, but there's nothing in your logo that says Olympics or even sports. I think you pretty much HAVE to include the five interlocking rings somewhere. If the logo's going to say "London," then you don't NEED to say U.K. with iconography as well ... though you could if you really want to.

Try again. Include the rings. Make it say "sports" or "competition" or "best in the world" with your iconography. Keep everything simple including your typography. <cliche>Less is more.</cliche>

Good luck. Hope you get an A.

Yea I know I have to add the rings and everything else I just started that was literailly the first logo I drew up for this project I already have another that I may post up later. I appreciate your input and well wishes. I will do the best I can trust me. It is my last semester b4 I grad and I am trying to get graphic designer of the year at my school. Last semester I get "master of advertising" so I will try hard this term.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.13GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 150GB HDD, 2GB DDR2 Ram
Not bad for a first attempt, but like some others have said it is rather plain and doesnt really represent any sports in England.

I had a quick idea, why not use cricket stumps, have a bat infront as if the ball is about to be struck, with the number 212 and use the ball as the number 0...
Quick thought :)

Keep up the good work

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good idea mate.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea i have seen the second on you posted i like it a lot.. i know, i know.. i have not added the rings a such as of yet.. it was just my concept.. i will post another soon. i am testing out more fonts and other stuff right now as well as making different designs.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here is my lastest revision .. i am still working on a font for the "olympic summer games" i think it is to blocky

LONDONLOGO-01-01-1.jpg

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here is my lastest revision .. i am still working on a font for the "olympic summer games" i think it is to blocky

LONDONLOGO-01-01-1.jpg

I'm getting retro pac man from the fonts that you are using. Especially the smaller text at the bottom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4
Go extremely simple with the typeface for Olympic Summer Games. I'm thinking Helvetica or Futura, but not Avant Garde (too round).

I don't dislike the top portion of the logo, but in the real world, you'd never be permitted to obscure the Olympic rings by only having part of them showing. The real world is all about pleasing clients and that either means anticipating correctly what they want or having to alter your design.

For a class you might get away with this. Or the professor might make the same critique I did.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea i really like helvetica and actually already changed it before i read this..lol as for the rings i totally understand.. thanks for the input

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my final logo, i turned it in to my teacher today

OlympicLogoFinalLrg-03.jpg

OlympicLogoFinal-01.jpg

and here are some of the variations that i made before i came to my final

OlympicLogoDraft1-03.jpg

Reaction score
i too am a graphic design student in my third year. i am english and yes the original logo has been received very badly, for obvious reasons, its terrible. it has even been known to give people epileptic fits (honestly was in the news). I can see your point for your first design and as a concept its not bad, however, just because the upcoming olympics is hosted in England it does not make it a purely English event. the glory of the olympics is a culmination of countries and cultures and as previously mentioned sports. this should play a major part in your design, by all means include the English theme would be mad not to but perhaps more subtly.

The second and revised edition i have to say is much better as you said the tagline is still undergoing work and that needs some consideration. have you considered format though? this banner like logo is only going work as it is on a horizontal strip whereas in reality it will need several versions versatile enough to be pasted all round London and indeed the country. perhaps the 2012 would suffice for this on the assumption that the original logo was successful enough to work as a partial off cut.

Hope to have been of help

Ellis

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.