Problem when installing Mac OS X on a macbook

Reaction score
So I have a Macbook that had the 2006 corrupted hard drive issue. I went out and bought a 160 GB WD 2.5in HDD and installed it with no problem. I turned the computer back on, put in the installation disk and rebooted. I have tried the C key, the D key, and the option keys separately, but none of them do anything. The screen is grey for a while when it is processing the dvd, and then spits the dvd out. Then the screen shows the Question mark folder. Any suggestions on how to get this new hard drive formatted and working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
All I can think of, is that the hard drive is not formatter for your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
lol good question actually. Hmm. Use another Mac is the only possible way I could imagine, unless someone here knows a neat software trick. I wish I could help more, but I cannot imagine anything else causing that on any computer, logically. I suppose the DVD itself could be corrupt, damaged, or infected?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try cleaning your drive. Cleaning kits are available at Radio Shack and most stores that sell computers and accessories. Also check your installation DVD carefully for scratches or gouges. You might be faced with replacing the drive or need a new installation DVD.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.