• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

PowerBook upgrade may come as early as next week

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB
"When Apple introduced the new 12" and 17" PowerBooks, they neglected the once-supreme 15" middle model, save for minor price cuts. According to recent talk, that could change as early as next week.

As to be expected, Apple resellers contacted by Spymac report below-average sales of the 15" PowerBook, a result of consumer awareness of the new models.

Although stock of the old model is far from depleted, sources anticipate that Apple will be ready to roll out the updated 1GHz 15.4" PowerBooks by the end of February, with an announcement as early as next week not out of the question.

Speculation arose that Apple would maintain the 15" Titanium PowerBook in an effort to continue selling an OS 9-bootable professional laptop, though this does not seem to be the case.

Pricing and configuration is not expected to change."

Source: http://spymac.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
No price drop on the older ones? They dropped the price on my iMac like $300 when they released the new ones....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
That does seem rather odd that they won't be dropping the price on the older models...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
As much as I would like a price drop, (I'm planning on buying a 15" towards September), I don't think it's likely, because the 15" will not be adding new features that aren't on the 12" and 17". They would probably bring the 15" out costing about in the middle of the 12 and 17, so if the 12 and 17 were to have a price drop, either the 15 will come out cheap, or there will be an imbalance in the pricing levels.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I agree with fluid, that the 15" will most likely be upgraded and the price remain about the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Yeah, but what about all those ones that are still out there? PowerBooks are expensive, so I am imagining that there are quite a few of the "old" ones still at the stores.... I'd like to pick one up cheap :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
so theyre going to keep the 15" titanium?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.