• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't get iPhoto to see AVCHD movies

Reaction score
Just bought a Panasonic Lumix camera which also records 720p video in ACVHD format. iPhoto picks up the pictures just fine, but won't even see the videos. I've tried opening the videos directly off the SD card using VLC Player, but no luck there, either. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions. With thanks in advance,

mooli1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I did a little prying around and couldnt find anything about AVCHD movies in iPhoto, but there is something in Apples support pages about watching them in iMovie as long as you have iLife ... Have a look HERE

Just found something else as well, that iLife 09 with updates now supports ACVDH ...
HERE
Dont really know too much about it myself but just found these doing a little google :)

EDIT: Just found THIS also in the Apple forums which might give you some better insight ...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Part of the problem I think is that iPhoto is not a video player, it's designed for photos.

You should be able to open the camera like a hard drive if it's connected to your computer, if not then you should be able to pull out the memory card and plug it into a card reader and read it - then look for the video files - they will either be in AVCHD directory structure, or they may be stand alone .ts or .mts or .m2ts files (or something similar). If they are stand alone files, like .ts or .mts, etc. and not deep into a directory structure then download a program called Handbrake ( HandBrake ) and you should be able to use it to transcode the video from the default format into a more apple friendly mp4 format.

iLife supports AVCHD only thru iMovie AFAIK where they expect you to use iMovie to edit your footage then export into a final product.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.