Google Nexus 1

Reaction score
Hard to see how this will compete with the iPhone. I think Google may have screwed up on the form factor.

100_0073.jpg

For more details, click here.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think it looks great. My only concern is that it's HTC hardware, which tends to be cheap and poorly designed.

Also, I think Google is silly to rebrand it as their own phone when there is still a fledgling market for their OS. Now, they're competing against the vendors that they have previously courted and added to confusion as to what Android phones actually are. WE, as enthusiasts, understand - but I guarantee you that if a layman walks into a mobile carrier, they will be quite confused when the salesman starts trying to differentiate between the different models. When you're trying to gain marketshare, it helps to have a consistent message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Hard to see how this will compete with the iPhone. I think Google may have screwed up on the form factor.

100_0073.jpg

For more details, click here.

I couldn't agree more.. I mean maaan. How is that huge thing supposed to fit in anybody's hands, let alone pockets ! :eek: ;P

On a more serious note.. Trackball, UUUGH. :\

Still glad they're not giving up on trying to make Android more market friendly though. One of these days they'll get it right.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I want to like it, but can't. Guess I'll have to wait for the Droid 2 sans-keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1) What's the deal with the chick in her bathrobe?

2) Google needs to pair their software with good hardware not this cheap crud, anything else is just a wast of their time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
But wow does the main stream press just love this thing ! And I love how they are saying that now google makes their own phone so they can go head to head with apple ! Except of course google doesn't make phones. It's just another htc with a slightly enhanced os! No thanx I'll wait till June.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I'm a big Android fan, But I gotta agree with the rest of you the hardware sucks!
I don't have a problem with HTC,But the trackball is old and outdated.

Reaction score
Plus unless I got it wrong - why in the world would they launch just with T-Mobile of all carriers??!!

OP
M
Reaction score
Plus unless I got it wrong - why in the world would they launch just with T-Mobile of all carriers??!!

You should like this then: They are working diligently to hookup with AT&T !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
its alright, but my opinion is that no phone competes with the touch technology of the iphone. i hear the nexus is close to the touch that the iphone has, but come on, if u can get an iphone then get one if u want an touch phone. i dont think i can get any other touch phone after having an iphone, i found have to go to like a blackberry tour or something haha

Reaction score
Just looking at the demo on their website, I really don't like the interface. I'm sure it would be different in person but it just looks ugly to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Tmobile and google partnered together a few years ago. You got to figure It's good for Tmobile to have Google in their corner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think it looks pretty good overall to be honest. The outer appearance could be sleeker, and I probably wouldn't use the trackball much outside of positioning my curser, but it still seems like a pretty solid device. From the videos I've seen the OS is pretty darn snappy, especially considering the eye candy it runs. People have already put it up against the iPhone and other devices showing how much faster it is at common tasks like loading core apps and webpages. And supposedly the AMOLED screen is down right stunning.

2) Google needs to pair their software with good hardware not this cheap crud, anything else is just a wast of their time.

If you're going to toss out comments like that, you really need specifics to back it up.

What do you think is better than the internals like the snapdragon processor and 5MP camera? The whole industry has been gushing over this processor before it was found in this device. Is there something better out there running available handsets?

They already said they'll have a CDMA version ready for Verizon this spring. I think it's because they wanted to open with a GSM model that they could also debut internationally, and T-Mo is the only option outside of AT&T for the US. Obviously they can't go with AT&T, not because of the iPhone, but because the horrible rep AT&T has had lately.

To be honest, unless Apple comes up with some major improvements to the iPhone, I may switch over to this device. Partly because I think it is superior to current iphones in some ways, but mostly just to get away from AT&T who has completely jaded me to their service.

Reaction score
Just got my Nexus One on Friday, and it is awesome. I've spent all weekend toying with it and the hardware isn't as bad as everyone here assumes it to be. It is HTC, which already makes people assume it's a pile of junk. I've got news though, it's not exactly the Dash or Mogul. It feels solid and well made. The camera is less than what I wanted but I withhold all camera judgements based on the fact that I use an actual camera for all photo needs. The interface is typical Android, which I love. I wish you could disable the animated wallpapers, since they tend to be a processor hog at times. I've been blasted a million times by my fellow Apple fans because I hate the iPhone, but in general, this thing far outperforms the iPhone. It's faster, more stable and generally just feels better in the hands.

My only major critique is this thing can't even come close to an iPhone in the keyboard department.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just got my Nexus One on Friday, and it is awesome. I've spent all weekend toying with it and the hardware isn't as bad as everyone here assumes it to be. It is HTC, which already makes people assume it's a pile of junk. I've got news though, it's not exactly the Dash or Mogul. It feels solid and well made. The camera is less than what I wanted but I withhold all camera judgements based on the fact that I use an actual camera for all photo needs. The interface is typical Android, which I love. I wish you could disable the animated wallpapers, since they tend to be a processor hog at times. I've been blasted a million times by my fellow Apple fans because I hate the iPhone, but in general, this thing far outperforms the iPhone. It's faster, more stable and generally just feels better in the hands.

My only major critique is this thing can't even come close to an iPhone in the keyboard department.

Photos?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
...I wish you could disable the animated wallpapers, since they tend to be a processor hog at times....My only major critique is this thing can't even come close to an iPhone in the keyboard department.

You can use a wallpaper that isn't animated to take care of that. Does the task manager tell you how much of the CPU the background uses?

Do you feel like the the keyboard doesn't work as well because it doesn't take advantage of multitouch? Do hit keys not register? It looks more cramped than the iPhone's, but that's a graphic trick of the eye because they keys are elongated in appearance. I hear you can actually download other keyboards, some that look more like the iPhone's. And they may be multitouch since 3rd party apps can take advantage of the multitouch unlike N1's core apps. That could help.

Have you had any 3G issues? Some people are reporting connection problems: constantly switching between 3G and Edge, or no 3G at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Just sold my 16G 3gs for 550.00 and will order the nexus tomorrow, going to run it on ATT as i get my account for free, not to many g3 areas around here, then getting a new iphone this summer:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone know if the Nexus One is compatible with Tmobile' new HSPA 7.2 Mbps ? or is it only 3Mbps ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.