• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is my bandwidth being throttled??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I typically can't see TV shows when they air on TV, so I'll watch them online instead. But there's always a problem with watching them. An hour long show is typically 45 minutes online, and every time I try to watch one it'll be fine with no buffering until about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way through when the show becomes jerky and unwatchable. I have to come back to it some time later and finish it, which is downright annoying since that's when a show typically is most intense.

So, is my cable internet provider possibly throttling my bandwidth because I'm using a lot by streaming a TV show? Many time their not even HD! I've also noticed this happen on my iPhone when watching a TV show through NBC.com for example. It'll perform great without any buffering for most of the show, but towards the end it takes forever to stream a few minutes even though I'm still on 3G with full bars. And that's with the show broken up into several video segments.

I could see other causes if it didn't have the exact same way every time, on my phone and on my computer. Anyone else have a problem with this? Could be possibly be anything else?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Who is the ISP?

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Insight Cable

Reaction score
I have AT&T u-verse, and I have already gotten a courtesy letter stating that I am a heavy bandwidth user and they are going to start to throttle me back during peak hours if my usages does not slow down considerably... :(

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
An hour long show is typically 45 minutes online, and every time I try to watch one it'll be fine with no buffering until about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way through when the show becomes jerky and unwatchable. [...] It'll perform great without any buffering for most of the show, but towards the end it takes forever to stream a few minutes even though I'm still on 3G with full bars. And that's with the show broken up into several video segments.
So, you get this over your network connection and your 3G connection? This doesn't sound like it's limited to your ISP.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, you get this over your network connection and your 3G connection? This doesn't sound like it's limited to your ISP.

That's why it's even more questionable to me. It's happening through 2 different devices on 2 different connection types. I would just think it is coincidence if it wasn't so consistent.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you in a rural area? Is it only the same sites that have this issue? It's possible that your geographical location may have something to do with it or, if it's the same site causing you problems (regardless of how you're streaming the content), it could very well be the site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Watching TV over the internet is less than perfect. Some shows are just always slow. I use to try and catch Heroes when I missed an episode, but it was so popular that I would always have trouble watching it.

Try something like speedtest.net to see if there's any noticeable slow down in your connection itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.