KP problems. ugh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.4.11
Hi

I've been searching through lots of posts on here that are about how to resolve kernel panic but I'm still having issues.
I have an eMac (not a typo) running OS X 10.4.11 on 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 that was given to me a week ago and is a vast improvement from my previous mac that was still crawling around on 10.2.8 :)
I kept having that funky screen that has a bunch of languages basically yelling at me to restart my computer and I was able to figure out these few things- (please correct me if I am wrong)
that screen means kernel panic
kernel panic is basically the operating system crashing

I went to disk utility and it couldn't even finish verifying the disk at first because it would quit because the volume was messed up (not sure what a "volume" meant exactly) it would not repair it and i don't have any of the disks

So...after reading on here a bunch I rebooted in single user and ran fsck -yf and it said stuff was in need of repair, repaired it and said it was ok. Woo Hoo.

i rebooted and ran the verify disk and it said all was well...

But I am still having Kernel Panic every time I try to load a particular web page. that confuses me, i thought I read that KP is a hardware problem. So why would certain web pages cause it to happen? (pandora radio site, some facebook pages)

Is there anything else I can do? I really like pandora, i don't want to just have to stay away :(

thanks for any help you can offer!
Missi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Can be hardware, memory, failing hard disc drive amongst other things.

What browser are you using and has the machine had the memory upgraded lately?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.4.11
I am using Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5
Hmmm, is there any way to see if the memory has been upgraded recently? It was just passed onto me last week and I can't get a hold of the previous owners.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well how much memory is installed? Go to the little Apple icon in the menu bar and select, go to About this Mac > More info > memory and see what is shown there and if all modules are the same.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.4.11
it said:

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: eMac
Machine Model: PowerMac6,4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.2f1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.