Broke interface installing theme, need help getting it back to normal

Reaction score
Hope this is gthe right sort of place for this :)

BACKSTORY: Tried to install a new "theme" from Mac Themes. Followed the instructions in the readme and ran the installer. Logged in/logged out and now everything is all messed up. My entire interface pretty much does not exist. Attempting to open any program will load it for a second before crashing it, so any configuration outside terminal is out of the question as far as I know.

Booting into safemode didn't change anything.

The theme in question I used is MacThemes Forum / [Theme] Caesar for Snow Leopard and it luckily came with an uninstaller of sorts. IE "install original". My plan is that running this will install the original theme and hopefully not destroy anything more.

I'm currently at the terminal trying to run the Install Original Theme.pkg but I get a segfault when I run this command:

Code:
installer -pkg "Original Theme Intel.pkg" -target /

Sorry for the complicated question, I've only been using a mac for a month now. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I guess it's time to use your time machine back up to go back to when you haddnt screwed it up. Sorry but that's the safest and fastest why to correct your problem that I know of.

Clay

OP
W
Reaction score
Is it possible to access time machine via the terminal? I don`t think I even had it set up.

Reaction score
Oh, dear...
If you didn't set up Time Machine, you're out of luck with that.
I can't help much with uninstalling the theme/reinstalling the original theme, so look around a bit more for that before even reading the next part. It may be that you solve it entirely without it.

If worse comes to worst, and you can't find a solution, you might need to back up your files and reinstall OS X. First, you'll need an external drive. A thumb drive or a full-size external. Then, you need to back up your files, if you can. (If you can't use Finder to do it, it'll have to be done in safe mode or however you get to the Terminal) Anyway, then after you've backed your files up, get your OS X installation disc and put it in, restart, and hold "c" after you hear the chime until you get to the apple.Then just follow the instructions, and reinstall. Don't forget to reinstall your software, too.
You probably knew all that, but just making sure...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB/320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm/Mac OS Leopard 10.6.2
@clayneal
How to do that? Go back to the time machine back up and go back?? I have the same problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB/320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm/Mac OS Leopard 10.6.2
Well, the problem is solved. I am typing it here in case someone encounters the same problem. The caesar comes with an uninstaller. Use that and then shut down the computer. The computer asks you whether you want to install updates, click yes. Switch on the mac, the interface is back to normal again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Or run your install discs. That's another solution. But yes, don't mess with themes without half expecting to get burned. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.