• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Streaming Video Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I have a Mac Mini dedicated to serve my HDTV. It connects wirelessly to my Airport Extreme. I've been watching a variety of video programs off the web, including full length movies, with no problems. This morning I watched the Rose Parade live stream from KTLA in Los Angeles. The video would become choppy after several minutes, and would get worse and worse until a freeze up. If I quit safari, then opened it and reconnected to the KTLA site, the stream would be fine again for a while. Eventually it would get choppy again. That sounds to me as if a buffer was getting full and causing the lag to get progressively worse.

Are there some settings on the Mini, or in Safari that I should adjust for getting maximum performance watching streaming video? Like I said, I only use the Mini for the video HDTV source. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The likely issue is that the service supplying the feed was having issues supplying the feed reliably. I've see that kind of thing with live feeds such as Apple press events.

It is doubtful to be a buffer full problem, because the application would tell the server to stop sending bits for a moment while the buffer was used and reduced. Of course a bug somewhere in the path could throw a kink in that plan. ;)

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I agree with what you say, xstep. The part that throws me is that the problem temporarily cleared up each time I closed out and came back in. That makes it seem like a problem at my end.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Chasing a problem that you're having with a single site can cause your head to explode. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.