• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD problem

Reaction score
I am running Snow Leopard & the imac came originally with Tiger & a drop in disc for Leopard.

IDVD will open but will not open create a new project & I can then only quit the application via force quit.

I spent a good hour on the tel with Apple Support where I cleaned the caches, deleted .plist files & repaired Disc Permissions plus several other tasks.. Still did not work.

Subsequently I have uninstalled iDVD by putting into trash & re installed the Applications from the original Tiger discs . Still does not work.

Can anybody help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't know what your funky problem is. Sounds like you did several normal things to solve the issue.

I'd check to see if the Leopard disc was more than a standard retail disc. If so it might have a later version of iDVD on it you could install.

I'd also open up the Console.app in the Utilities folder, then try opening iDVD, then review the messages in the Console to see if there are any hints.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.