• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

White technology - gets dirty too easily?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
Does anyone else hate white technology because it very quickly goes from nice, clean and new to dirty and old looking? My magic mouse and keyboard has surprised me as it still looks nice and new, although I have been washing my hands before using it if they are slightly dirty from working outside. It's not just white technology that gets on my nerves, any white clothing shows dirt/stains so easily. I would love to see what state my black iPhone would be in if it got transformed into a white iPhone, it looks quite decent now with it being black but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be looking half as good in white. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
i have the white iphone and the WhiteBook, if you take care of your things they will stay clean and nice, new looking. my iphone has maybe 3 little scratches on the back from regular use over the year but it still looks brand new and nice and white :) my WhiteBook is just....well...BEAUTIFUL !!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
It really depends on how well you take care of it...
The palmrest and keyboard on my two year old white Macbook is still looks brand new...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would also have to agree with empty noise on that matter. I wash my hands before I even think about touching my machine, and it's as clean as the day that I bought it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Dirt on a white substance is more noticeable than dirt on a black object.

Either way, the computer will be dirty.

If you wash your hands before handling the object, then it should be fine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm a slob. My aluminum MBP always seems to be dirty looking. Meanwhile, my wife's 2 1/2 yr old white MB looks like the day she took it out of the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
Does anyone else hate white technology because it very quickly goes from nice, clean and new to dirty and old looking? My magic mouse and keyboard has surprised me as it still looks nice and new, although I have been washing my hands before using it if they are slightly dirty from working outside. It's not just white technology that gets on my nerves, any white clothing shows dirt/stains so easily. I would love to see what state my black iPhone would be in if it got transformed into a white iPhone, it looks quite decent now with it being black but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be looking half as good in white. :p

I would certainly not buy a white iPhone, as it would look like I'm holding a bar of soap, vanilla ice-cream or white chocolate up to my ear whenever I was using it. Not so afraid it would get dirty, since I use an invisibleSHIELD anyway.

However, if I had gotten the white 3GS 32GB for lets say... £ 180... (but not a PENNY more!) I might have considered purchasing it ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
I have a White MB. And I have the solution. (Suggested by my Wife and seconded one special Apple genius).

Yes, thats rights, its the Magic Eraser. It will polish up your White Mac like N...E...W... New. I can Promise. Use all around the frame of you Mac, i.e. around the monitor and around the keyboard....take off most if not all of that ever so slightly noticeable buildup on your track pad. It is strong and it is gentle and it is Cheap. But don't run it over your Keyboard. No, don't try to clean your keys. Though it is gentle. It will also take off the letters.

The Magic Eraser....Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
White technology gets just as dirty as other colours. It just looks dirtier quicker cause the colour of the dirt constasts more strongly to the white colour. So The onhter colours can kind fo hide the dirt for longer. Mind you a really clean white piece of technology looks really cool I'll admit.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm a bit compulsive about washing my hands, since my work involves constantly touching other folks' keyboards and mice. My MacBook Pro (albeit silver) looks like new, but I have several friends with white MacBooks and I can certainly see how easily they get dirty.

I know some people love the white theme. Personally, I think it really looks dated these days and since it's not particularly functional, I don't see why Apple sticks with it. I honestly think the base MacBook would sell quite a bit better if they'd change it to black and kept the price the same.

OP
Mint
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
There appears to be some confusion with my original post. I didn't mean that white gets dirty easier than any other colour, I meant that it shows dirt more than any other colour. White technology can look really cool when it's clean/new, but when it's slightly dirty it stands out a lot and makes it look shabby. My white Nintendo DS for example looks like it has spent the last year in a coal mine, it just isn't white anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I know the feeling. In a restaurant everything white (Uniforms, crockery, table cloths etc) can all be bleeched white again. But bleech your DSi and I doubt it'll be working again. SO we have an issue there.

OP
Mint
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
A white iPhone would look so cool, I haven't seen one in person but I'm sure it would look good. You see so many black iPhones that I fancy being different for a change. Some sort of barely noticeable protection that doesn't make it any bulkier would be cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
I'm a bit compulsive about washing my hands, since my work involves constantly touching other folks' keyboards and mice. My MacBook Pro (albeit silver) looks like new, but I have several friends with white MacBooks and I can certainly see how easily they get dirty.

I know some people love the white theme. Personally, I think it really looks dated these days and since it's not particularly functional, I don't see why Apple sticks with it. I honestly think the base MacBook would sell quite a bit better if they'd change it to black and kept the price the same.

Pretty much exactly what I was about to post!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
honestly i had the aluminum uni MB and it seemed to get wayy more dirty then my WhiteBook. or maybe i just take more care of my whitebook after spilling iced tea all over my alumibody

Reaction score
A white iPhone would look so cool, I haven't seen one in person but I'm sure it would look good. You see so many black iPhones that I fancy being different for a change. Some sort of barely noticeable protection that doesn't make it any bulkier would be cool.
i have the white 3gs and love it. the black seems so cliche to me, plus, you cant see scratches and chips from stuff that gets into the cases. yea black looks cool, but i rather have white

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have the White MacBook and wouldnt have it any other way. Im a grot, mostly with driving trucks and demolition so my hands are always got something on them. lol

Now i have seen this thread i noticed how "grotty" my MB is so i gave it a clean ...

AHHHH alas back to looking new .....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have a White MB. And I have the solution. (Suggested by my Wife and seconded one special Apple genius).

Yes, thats rights, its the Magic Eraser. It will polish up your White Mac like N...E...W... New. I can Promise.

Second. Those things are great, for a variety of surfaces.

Now, I used to have a Mac TV - all black. I now have a black keyboard and monitor for my aluminum and white Mini. The black components get very dirty. I know they do, but I just can't see the dirt! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.