FLAC converting issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Mac Book Pro 2.16 Ghz Inter Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Ram
I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem or if I'm simply hearing things but I have FLAC files I have from downloading. Trying to convert them into any file accepted by iTunes that will also sync with my iPod only results in clipping heard throughout the song. I've been using the Max cd ripper/encoder which works great for my cds. Not so much as I've come to discover for converting. Anyone else experiencing the same problems and any solutions? Thanks in advance.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm hoping to go from FLAC to AIFF. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
XLD seems to be doing the job. It's weird though. When I compare the FLAC file to the converted file, which in this case has been AIFF. The file size not only increases but I notice an increase of volume, resulting in the clipping, and "air" in the song. Would that be a conversion issue or something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes that's a conversion issue for sure. AIFF files, when ripped direct from CD, generally mean you get a folder of roughly 720 MB, give or take, where with FLAC, 600 mb would be an absolute max normally (unless someone encoded at level 0 or 1, but most FLAC seems to be done at level 8).
So, what you are doing is basically transcoding the FLAC files, which is always a bad thing. FLAC to MP3, is fine, but transcoding up to AIFF is obviously causing issues. The "air" you mention is basically a soundless section or layer built in to the newly created files to bulk them up.
The only thing I can suggest is to look in the settings for XLD to see if you can select a target file size, and make sure that you encode the files to the same size as source. This may alleviate some of the problems.
Alternatively, you can make your iPod play FLAC, but it means ditching iTunes as a library.
I hope that helps a little. I have more info if needed.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Makes sense now. Thanks. How would you get the ipod to play FLAC files? I'm doing a "renovation" with my harddrive setup soon so I have to go through everything anyway.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would, but then I'm running into the same problem as the AIFF am I not? Even bigger since it's an uncompressed format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe, but FLAC is supposed to be "lossless". I had this argument with someone on another forum though. FLAC to me is still compressed, and therefore can't be truly lossless, so you are right in as much as you will be transcoding again.
I only suggested it to see if the results were any better than converting to AIFF.
To be honest with you, as it is for the iPod, I would encode all the FLAC to MP3, because the iPod, great as it is, will not do justice to the FLAC/Lossless files, even if you have the best headphones in the world, and lets face it, who's going to pay £1000 for headphones for the iPod!
MP3 320 sounds superb, and you are not transcoding.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As much as it pains me to do so, you are right. Just had a hope out there. Thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
FLAC is lossless. Completely, for sure. Period.

This discussion has ended years ago. Sorry I sound aggressive but it is tiring to hear the same thing all the time.

Think of FLAC as a zipped audio file. It immeditaly uncompresses itself and begins playing.

I have performed tests in really exotic high end audio systems and there is absolutely no audible difference whatsoever.

Same for Apple Lossless.

Happy New Year! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FLAC is lossless. Completely, for sure. Period.

This discussion has ended years ago. Sorry I sound aggressive but it is tiring to hear the same thing all the time.

Think of FLAC as a zipped audio file. It immeditaly uncompresses itself and begins playing.

I have performed tests in really exotic high end audio systems and there is absolutely no audible difference whatsoever.

Same for Apple Lossless.

Happy New Year! :)

Fair enough. It's just an opinion, but answer me one question then please (and Im not doubting that FLAC doesn't indeed sound the same as source).
Why are there different levels of compression for FLAC? Surely a file compressed at 8 can't be as good as one at 0 or 1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
Fair enough. It's just an opinion, but answer me one question then please (and Im not doubting that FLAC doesn't indeed sound the same as source).
Why are there different levels of compression for FLAC? Surely a file compressed at 8 can't be as good as one at 0 or 1?

Because there are different computers with different computing powers. It is much harder for a CPU to run a compressed FLAC with a very low compression level. The lower the level of compression the more difficult it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.