Switcher RAM Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
I am getting my Macbook tomorrow. I am concerned about the 2 GB of RAM. Would anyone be kind enough to answer these two questions for me?

1. Is 2 GB sufficient for normal use?

2. Apple RAM seems to be about double the price of PC RAM. Why is this, and can you use third-party RAM (like Kingston) on a Mac?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Why is that? Same reason buying RAM at Lenovo is twice the money. They're marking it up. Any RAM that meets the spec's required will work. Apple RAM is just whatever they could get spec'd at the cheapest price at the time, just like any other manufacturer... I've seen Samsung etc etc etc in them from the factory.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Your MacBook will function OK with two GB of memory. If you open several programs at once or regularly run intensive program such as Photoshop you'll notice an improvement in performance with more memory.

Macs can use third party memory though you will want to buy from a reliable source. I haven used memory from Kingston as well as several other vendors on Macs over the years.

Just in case you're interested in trying the memory installation yourself here's a page of instructional videos that should help OWC Installation Videos at OtherWorldComputing.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And OWC is great on price . I got 4gb upgrade with delivery to Australia in 7 days for $118 USD ....
Here in Oz was going to cost me $128 for only 2gb

Your Mac will be ok with the 2gb but if you go 4 you will be flying. Cant work out why i didnt upgrade the 1st day i got my new toy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.