Exploring a CD

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's your question? (Don't refer your readers to another post from 2007 that's already been answered.)

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm looking for the feature similar to Right click --> "Explore CD" in Windows.

When I insert the CD, it is automatically mounted, but I'm only able to play the contents and not able to view all the contents in there.

It is a broadband installer CD which has got installer files for both Mac and Windows. My mac automatically mounts and shows only the Mac relevant files. If I want to copy windows-specific files, I'm not able to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop the CD into a windows machine and the windows installer files will open. It may be an .exe file.

Reaction score
I'm looking for the feature similar to Right click --> "Explore CD" in Windows.

When I insert the CD, it is automatically mounted, but I'm only able to play the contents and not able to view all the contents in there.

It is a broadband installer CD which has got installer files for both Mac and Windows. My mac automatically mounts and shows only the Mac relevant files. If I want to copy windows-specific files, I'm not able to do that.

right click > open
or open finder and navigate to the cd in the left hand frame

if that doesn't work because the files are hidden, open a terminal and type without quotes

"defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE"

and then to restart the finder application type again without quotes

"killall Finder"

to hide hidden files again repeat the steps, except instead of "true" type "FALSE"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I have several CDs just like that and the Windows files can be viewed, however, they can not be executed except from Windows - as Harry pointed out. As far as copying is concerned, why would you want to copy them when in OS X? It can be done, but why do it?

When the CD mounts on your desktop, double click on it and it should show the Windows folder along with those that pertain to your Mac. By clicking on each Windows folder it should open in turn displaying file names.

Your Mac can read CDs and DVDs that are in standard format. (I don't know of any nowadays that are not.) Understand though that autorun.inf is a feature of Windows and has no effect in OS X.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
right click > open
or open finder and navigate to the cd in the left hand frame

if that doesn't work because the files are hidden, open a terminal and type without quotes

"defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE"

and then to restart the finder application type again without quotes

"killall Finder"

to hide hidden files again repeat the steps, except instead of "true" type "FALSE"

Thanks for this reply. Using this I can view all the hidden files. Now I understand that the CD automatically recognizes the OS and mounts only the relevant files. On my mac, it mounts only Mac specific files. I tried popping the CD in a Windows system, and only windows specific files were mounted there.
So the question now is, how do I mount ALL the files from CD.

why would you want to copy them when in OS X? It can be done, but why do it?
A friend has a Windows laptop with a broken DVD drive. So, I wanted to copy the files on my mac and transfer to his laptop through a pen drive. Anyways, the job is done using some other computer but I just want to know the exact details for any work in future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.