New Ideas, I want on the computer

Reaction score
I have some logo ideas that I want to get onto the computer and want to edit some photos. Ive hear of torrents but dont know what that is about. Anyone know of a program that is free which i can do both of these things on? Im running 10.6.

Thanks,
Logan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
How about GIMP for Snow Leopard ??

You can get it HERE

Will need to have X11 running and should which should already be in your Utilities folder ...

And its free. Like Photoshop but a open source App

Cheers

Reaction score
Gimp is okay for raster graphics, but if you'd like to work with logo ideas you're probably going to want to use a vector graphics solution so that you can scale the images without distortion.

As far as what free program you need in order to work with vector graphics, Inkscape is a good open source alternative that works for the mac.

If you are interested in graphics but don't want to shell out the high price for adobe software, then Gimp and Inkscape are your best bets as they're both free and fairly good programs.

Don't worry about torrents as they don't apply to this situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
As tattooedmac says, GIMP is the program for Photo editing.

For logo design you may need a vector drawing program like Inkscape
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Torrenting is not allowed to be discussed here- not to sound like the MF police but it is illegal and illegal activity has no place here.

To answer your question, GIMP is a free software. It is somewhat basic, but for free, you can't go wrong and have nothing to lose.

Reaction score
Torrenting is not allowed to be discussed here- not to sound like the MF police but it is illegal and illegal activity has no place here.

To answer your question, GIMP is a free software. It is somewhat basic, but for free, you can't go wrong and have nothing to lose.

bit torrent is not illegal. It's just a distribution system. There are many files which can be legally obtained through the use of a bit torrent client.

But if we're going to demonize a tool which can be used improperly to commit a crime then we probably should stop talking about computers too.

@the original poster: There is a big difference between raster and vector graphics.. you can read about them on wikipedia....figure out which type of graphics applies to your application and use the previously mentioned software to get your ideas on the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
bit torrent is not illegal. It's just a distribution system. There are many files which can be legally obtained through the use of a bit torrent client.

But if we're going to demonize a tool which can be used improperly to commit a crime then we probably should stop talking about computers too.

@the original poster: There is a big difference between raster and vector graphics.. you can read about them on wikipedia....figure out which type of graphics applies to your application and use the previously mentioned software to get your ideas on the computer.

You know what we mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
No, true bassist, we don't. Bit torrents are NOT illegal, as direct said. Don't police something that isn't your business to restrict. If we discuss paid/pirated software downloads or copywritten materials sure, but stuff thats free and out there on purpose is fair game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Talk about a stern reaction. I'm pretty sure everybody here know's what we mean. We don;t talk about illegal torrenting. I have made absolutely no implementation whatsoever that the sharing of files you have ownership of is illegal, neither that the programmes are illegal so don't reply to something I have posted perfectly harmlessly with a lecture that is completely unnecessary.

Reaction score
Saying bit torrent is illegal is wrong and improper information. Perhaps i know what you mean, but not everyone one will.

I believe it's important to correct wrong information so as not to cause an entire community of people whom come here for guidance to get the wrong idea.

If thats a "stern reaction" then so be it.

also As far as everyone knowing what "we" (who is we?) means is also a terrible... you shouldn't make assumptions about Everyone's skill level and knowledge.

furthermore these corrections are necessary for the very reasons i've stated above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure that most members on this forum understand that the sharing of illegal files over torrenting is what is illegal. And, once again, I never said anything different. I know that the programmes are legal as are sharing owned filed over them. I'm just saying ZorroAMG gave a pretty anal reply to stuff I didn't even say.

Anyway, torrents are not allowed to be discussed here period. I'd personally love to set up a section about the legal use of torrents as they're really useful and I use them a lot to distribute my work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Anal reply? You got all of that PLUS my intonation from typed text on a screen? Don't be so sensitive, I generally call them like I see them and frankly don't really concern myself with feelings on the intarwebs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough - ZorroAMG and directeuphorium, Sorry about the rudeness.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.