Way to have iPhoto import just JPG, not CR2?

Reaction score
I can't find an answer to this anywhere, help, please!

I use iPhoto '08 for fun and family photos, LR2 for serious stuff.

I often shoot on my Canon 50D in RAW+JPG.

When importing files like that into iPhoto, it shows both versions of images. I NEVER want to import CR2 files into iPhoto, but can't find any pref or control button to keep it from showing both file formats as import choices. In a big batch of images, that means manually selecting every other image, huge waste of time.

Surely there's a way to do this, so please help me out, thanks so much from a new forum member.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Oddly enough I asked that same question to an Apple trainer at my one-to-one session this morning. She said, "No, but if you find a way, let me know." I wanted Jpegs to go to iPhoto, and RAW to Aperture. I'm looking for a work around. I'll post again if I find one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
OK, this is the best I can come up with.

Use Image Capture to download all image files from camera to a desktop folder.

Use Finder sort by Kind and manually import the files you want to the application you want.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea, VegasGeorge. Is there a more recent version of iPhoto that perhaps has this sorting/importing option built-in? If not, how lame is that. I'm probably on the path of abandoning iPhoto, except...it's so dang easy to get my pix up on me.com galleries, I hate to give that up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.