Wireless Music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I have a pretty awesome media room set up, nice 52" TV, an awesome suround system, the works. However, I hate CDs. I have all my music saved to my Powerbook, lol, taking up 10GB of space. Anyways, thats not my problem/question. I would like to do the following:

Wirelessly play the music from my 1.67Ghz Powerbook to the surround system.

Wirelessly play sound from Presentations or Movies on the Powerbook to the surround system. (Adding surround to a presentation can add some really cool things).

What do I need to do this?

Thanks!

B

badmojo

rs2sensen said:
I have a pretty awesome media room set up, nice 52" TV, an awesome suround system, the works. However, I hate CDs. I have all my music saved to my Powerbook, lol, taking up 10GB of space. Anyways, thats not my problem/question. I would like to do the following:

Wirelessly play the music from my 1.67Ghz Powerbook to the surround system.

Wirelessly play sound from Presentations or Movies on the Powerbook to the surround system. (Adding surround to a presentation can add some really cool things).

What do I need to do this?

Thanks!

Ironically, Apple makes it really easy to do this. I have not done this before, but I asked this same question at the iPod Garage forums and many people responded with this link:

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

edit: changed product link.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
ok, that (AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes) seems to work. But, does it only work with iTunes music, or all sound? Also, does it transmit in surround sound?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I'm not sure of the name of the program, but Macworld recently reviewed a third party app that allows you to send all of your computer audio through the airport express and into your sound system. Without it, you can only use iTunes to play music or sound via the airport express. Check out their site for more details; just search for airport express.

http://www.macworld.com/

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I think I found the software you mentioned: http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

To my earlier question though, does anybody know if this will transmit in surround, or just stereo? Is Airport Express w/ Air Tunes capable of surround? If not, is there anything that is?

Thanks!

B

badmojo

rs2sensen said:
Ok, I think I found the software you mentioned: http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

To my earlier question though, does anybody know if this will transmit in surround, or just stereo? Is Airport Express w/ Air Tunes capable of surround? If not, is there anything that is?

Thanks!

Call Apple directly about this. There's no mention of how the AE decodes the signal in the specs.

R

rosso

I have a pretty nifty set up myself and Im making the switch to wireless music. My setup is as follows:

Linn Ikemi CD player >> Linn Kairn Pre amp >> Linn Klout Power amp >> Epos M22 speakers.

The Speakers are tri-wired and do NOT have crossovers. About £6ks worth of kit here so it sounds awesome. What im doing is this.

Mac mini >> Airtunes >> Bel Canto DAC 2 >> Kairn >> Klout >> Epos

I'll be using the digital out on the airtunes directly into the Bel Canto DAC 2 which Im using to convert the digital signal to quality analogue. Cant wait till its done. No more faffin about with CDs, everything will be on my external HD. Whatsmore I understand the mac has voice activated commands? Imagine being on a bluetooth hands free, selecting a track and it playing.......AWESOME!

Reaction score
rosso said:
I have a pretty nifty set up myself and Im making the switch to wireless music. My setup is as follows:

Linn Ikemi CD player >> Linn Kairn Pre amp >> Linn Klout Power amp >> Epos M22 speakers.

The Speakers are tri-wired and do NOT have crossovers. About £6ks worth of kit here so it sounds awesome. What im doing is this.

Mac mini >> Airtunes >> Bel Canto DAC 2 >> Kairn >> Klout >> Epos

I'll be using the digital out on the airtunes directly into the Bel Canto DAC 2 which Im using to convert the digital signal to quality analogue. Cant wait till its done. No more faffin about with CDs, everything will be on my external HD. Whatsmore I understand the mac has voice activated commands? Imagine being on a bluetooth hands free, selecting a track and it playing.......AWESOME!
I believe that is true.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.