Keyboard shortcut icons ??

N

new2OSx

Ok, I am trying to learn the keyboard short cuts but I can't find out what key these abbreviations are supposed to represent. Is there a sheet somewhere?

For example what is this key:

~\_ ?? Obviously I can't draw it correctly, but that is pretty close. Imagine a super score (haha, I guess that is what you can call it; not under score) in place of the tilde.

thanks
J

Reaction score
new2OSx said:
Ok, I am trying to learn the keyboard short cuts but I can't find out what key these abbreviations are supposed to represent. Is there a sheet somewhere?

For example what is this key:

~\_ ?? Obviously I can't draw it correctly, but that is pretty close. Imagine a super score (haha, I guess that is what you can call it; not under score) in place of the tilde.

thanks
J

There is already a thread for this..

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651&highlight=keyboard+short+cuts

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
It's easy to remember threads, but it sure is hard to find them sometimes. :(

OP
N

new2OSx

Thanks, all these replies and no answer. I checked there already, thank you. Sometimes just an answer would be nice instead of the URL redirect.

The Mac community seems to be just like the PC one if you ask me. Full of RTFM'ers thinking they are the snot cause they know the answer already. Why do people monitor and answer if all they do is redirect? Do you like to see your goofy little ticker go up next to your name?

sheese.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
new2OSx said:
Thanks, all these replies and no answer. I checked there already, thank you. Sometimes just an answer would be nice instead of the URL redirect.

The Mac community seems to be just like the PC one if you ask me. Full of RTFM'ers thinking they are the snot cause they know the answer already. Why do people monitor and answer if all they do is redirect? Do you like to see your goofy little ticker go up next to your name?

sheese.

Wait, so iWhat is being snotty because he doesn't want to have to re-type what all the symbols mean? Is it really so difficult to just click his link? If what iWhat did is not helpful, I don't know what is.

-Chris

OP
K

KuruMonkey

That, I believe is called the "option" key, and it... "does stuff".

(I don't know exactly what!) I've just seen it in some of the more obscure keyboard combinations I've run into. I think of it as the ALT key, since it also says alt on that key on my powerbook.

Other interesting apple keyboard questions are:

Why are there sideways Ks on the enter key and on another (otherwise blank) key on my powerbook? What does the sideways K represent? What does the sideways K only key do?

What on earth do the diagonal arrow keys on my full-size mac keyboard do?

Why are the "UK" keyboards apple supplies not actually UK spec keyboards?
(the " is where @ should be, and vice versa, and there is no # key)

Why is there no "delete" key on the powerbook?

In the apple menu, the "force quit" option has a nice circle with a up-left diagonal arrow symbol in its keyboard shortcut. This is nowhere on the keyboard at ALL (the shortcut is actually ALT-COMMAND-ESCAPE, so why invent a totally unique and unexplained icon for the menu??)

Mac keyboards are, basically, odd.

OP
N

new2OSx

Thank you everyone !!!! That took about an hour of my life to find those.

J

Reaction score
KuruMonkey said:
Why is there no "delete" key on the powerbook?

In the apple menu, the "force quit" option has a nice circle with a up-left diagonal arrow symbol in its keyboard shortcut. This is nowhere on the keyboard at ALL (the shortcut is actually ALT-COMMAND-ESCAPE, so why invent a totally unique and unexplained icon for the menu??)

Mac keyboards are, basically, odd.

The backspace key is the equvilant of the delete key on macs.

And they use the wierd symbols (like the up arrow for shift) i think because they dont want to write out the full names of each key to make it really long, I know its confusing... :S

And they are not odd, its just the pwoerbook keyboard because they leave out a lot of keys to conserve space. The only thing different about the keyboard is the volume keys (which are better) and the no delete button on laptops. ....

OP
J

Jefe3223

agreed. uncalled for. we already get about 10 threads a day on "ibook vs powerbook" and the like. why should we have to retype everything we've already covered the say before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
new2Osx, we don't appreciate double posting. And we really don't appreciate insults. Luckily I'm in a good mood this morning :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.