External Hard Drive Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
Okay, so I just bought a new iMac and I am using my old laptop (PC) to download music and movies and torrents and things to transfer onto my mac and play and watch but instead of going with a large flash drive, I was wondering if there are external hard drives that would get the job done? Ones that I could easily plug into the pc, put some stuff on it and then plug it into my mac and use it or even transfer it to the mac? If anyone has any info about this, it would be great! Or any other advice or experience with this type of thing, thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Sure. If you format the Drive as FAT-32, it will work on both machines just fine...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
I personally use a WD external portable drive for transfers back and forth. It works well because I simply have to plug the drive into a usb port. It works quite fast to transfer video files and is easy to transport back and forth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Sure. If you format the Drive as FAT-32, it will work on both machines just fine...

As long as it's formatted in a way that both computers can read it--eg, FAT-32--you're golden.

Reaction score
And, if you plug the drive into your PC and share it, the Mac will see that share no problem and then you wont have to unplug from the PC and plug into the Mac, just copy/paste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WTB Macbook Pro 15"
So if an external hard drive is formatted in NTFS, it won't work between the Mac and the PC?

I read that you have to enable read/write from NTFS if you're using Snow Leopard. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.