Uninstalling Windows on one Mac, installing it on another?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a new Imac (OSX 10.6.2), and I want to install Windows XP Home edition on it using Boot Camp. I have already installed Windows on another computer, my older Macbook, and my question is this - can I use the same Windows installation disk and activation code for my new computer?

I have read that one Windows XP disk is good for just one activation; do I need to uninstall it from my macbook in order to be able to install it on my Imac? Is that even possible? (Don't want to buy a whole new Windows package if I can help it!) Any help much appreciated, thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, you will need to uninstall it from the first machine.

If you have the retail full version, then you shouldn't have an issue moving it to another machine. It may require a phone call to activate it.

If you have the OEM version, technically per the EULA, it is tied to the first machine it's installed on and can't be moved to another system. However, I've yet to have MS refuse to provide a new activation code upon calling them.

If you've never had to call for activation, it really is about as painless as it can be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
If you've never had to call for activation, it really is about as painless as it can be.

And make sure you have your trusty pen ready to jot down the new code. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.