possibly getting a associates degree in Graphics Design

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BRAND NEW IMAC 21 inch 4 gb Ram 500 GB HD and a 3.06 ghz Processor
Hello everyone! I was recently layed off from a former employee due to jobs going overseas. I now have opportunity to possibly get a associates degree because of TAA funding. Just wondering what kind of upside there is to Graphics Design degree. Anyone that has been through it can please give advice on what to expect. I am 28 yrs old, and didn't apply myself in high school the way that i should have. I'm not going to let that stop me though. ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Go for it.
By the time you are finished, the graphics job market may have picked up.

You can expect to spends lots of time drawing concepts and making layout grids.

Also, you can expect to pay lots of money on software (even with student discounts).:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i graduate after this next semester with a A.S. in graphic design, in may 2010. I am 27 and i feel there are jobs out there for design you just gotta look for there. i personally love print design but a lot of stuff is going to web so learn how to design well then learn web. it is becoming a large part of graphic design.

I was in the same boat as you i got layed off from my previous job from a engineer firm and it pushed me to get a degree in design something I love much more than i every thought. so go for it.

it is hard but it pays off in the end. I just presented my portfolio at school last night and i won an award for master of advertising.

here is a snap shot from my phone of stuff you might be doing on your up and coming classes
IMG_0644.jpg

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's awesome. I do not know much about design right now but its something that I have been interested in learning for a very long time. I am scared because I am not up to par on the math and english part of college n e more. Some people say that u have to be able to draw also. I can't draw but on a computer I feel I could be awesome with design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
design is design is design.. the concept is the hardest part of everything b/c you must first come up with a truly original work then conveying that is the second most important thing... as far as drawing you can learn that, you shoulc see some of my sketches they are horrible little doodles (dont get me wrong i can draw when i need to) but they get my concept across and then i take it to the computer. as for math and english i had to take 2 prerequisites before i could get in to college algebra english i tested out of both of which is funny b/c i sucked in english in high school and got decent grades in math...

just remember the comp doesnt make the designs you do. dont rely on the comp to come up with something, make it work for you.

(just read what i posted and i can't believe i just wrote this. i guess i learned something in class)

btw this is a link to my flickr account to view my portfolio pieces if you wanted to view it
Evins Studios

i am working on posting this on my site not as the work itself and not pictures of my work

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey that's awesome stuff man.....see i find that kind of stuff amazing....i never did think i was a creative person when i was in school, but i am amazed with the concept....i'm sure i can become creative if i just put my mind to it...i was never good at math or english....matter of fact i dunno if i can even remember how to do any algebra....i really wanna take that plunge though and go for it...but i don't wanna let myself down either :(..if ya get what i'm saying.....I am a firm believer though that if you put your mind to something you can do it.....Thats how i have to think through this process

Reaction score
do yourself a favor and go into web design. Graphic design is well and good, but web design will incorporate many graphic design concepts but teach you the tools and the skills you need to be marketable in a world where Web Design is in high demand, and "graphic design" positions are often mislabeled "web design" positions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this is my last semester and i am taking web and flash..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.