My new MacBook!

Reaction score
I've been a Linux user for a few years, so it's not like I'm *just* ditching Windows. I have 5 computers apart from this Macbook, and the only one running Windows is dual booted with Linux. I love the Mac's overall design, and heard a lot of good things about OS X. And, since OS X is based on UNIX and uses a lot of Open Source technology... why not try it?

I bought the entry level MacBook last Sunday. What a wonderful purchase! I've used OS X before, but only in it's earlier days (I think I tried... Jaguar? Whichever was around in 2003) and did not like it much. It felt too plastic and buggy (I won't even talk about my OS 9 experience). But now with 10.6 I can truly say it's the most simplified and clean looking OS I have ever used. While I still love Linux and do not intend on giving it up, I think that every notebook I buy will be a Mac.

Reasons:

- It's the first notebook where I prefer the trackpad over a mouse
- Modernized, widely supported UNIX-based OS
- Can run OS X and Linux in a dual boot
- Not Windows; I don't have to buy a computer and delete the OS.
- Keyboard is excellent to type with
- iPhoto
- My local university supports OS X, not Linux
- Battery life

Gripes:

- The bloody merge feature doesn't exist in Finder!
- Proprietary (Think of it from the Linux user's perspective!)

Overall, I love the MacBook. And yes, I even like the "Zoom" button; I get "OCDish" when I see a window not lined up properly, so pressing a button to resize to best-fit works well for me. Good keyboard, good trackpad, good OS, good screen... nothing bad so far. Even the price isn' t that bad.

Now I see what all the fanboys were talking about =p

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27in. Dual Core 3.06GHz
Nice post! So I take it you're a college student? Did you get any student discounts?

Before I bought my first iMac I was building PCs as a hobby and tweaking them. I was not impressed with Vista and gave iMac a try and I was hooked ever since. I don't miss building PCs anymore.

This week I just ordered a Macbook Pro for my sister and this will be the first MBP in the house. I can't to see her face when she opens up the package.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.