• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple responsible for hearing loss and huge annoyance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
I think its about time that Apple started shipping better quality earphones with its iPods. The current ones are incredibly leaky, both in and out.

If you often travel on public transport you can hear the iPods all over the place as people use them with the cheap very leaky headphones they come with.

Also, they let so much sound in that people turn up the volume to silly levels and end up damaging their hearing.

If Sony can sell its MP3 players with quality in-ear headphones that don't leak and block outside noise, then why can't Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
I use Sony MDR-EX71 stereo headphones with mine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If people are to cheap to go out and buy better headphones I don't see where this is really Apples problem.

Frankly, I use my stock earbuds with my iPhone with no issues...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I specifically use earbuds rather than in-ear headphones everywhere except the house.

My own opinion is that the use of noise canceling headphones while moving about in public; whether while driving, walking, in public transport, etc., is a danger not only to yourself but those around you.

I am getting a little older now, so they're not turned up to 120db any longer. ;D

You won't stop those around you from doing what they want, so might as well grab an iPod for yourself and start listening to a good book on your travels about town. It's a treat.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think its about time that Apple started shipping better quality earphones with its iPods. The current ones are incredibly leaky, both in and out.

If you often travel on public transport you can hear the iPods all over the place as people use them with the cheap very leaky headphones they come with.

Also, they let so much sound in that people turn up the volume to silly levels and end up damaging their hearing.

Whether Apple is including good headphones or not...the user is still responsible for any hearing loss!!!..can't blame Apple for that!

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whether Apple is including good headphones or not...the user is still responsible for any hearing loss!!!..can't blame Apple for that!

- Nick

As a large number of iPod users are teenagers and children i think that it is apples responsibility. If an adult wants to kill their hearing then thats their business, but children are not expected to have the same level of responsibility.

I do have an iPod and immediately got myself some proper senheisser headphones for it. But why should I have to pay extra for decent headphones? They should come with good headphones, the same way the Sony mp3 players do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
I like making people around me listen to my music.

Its a great conversation starter

;P lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I agree. Apple should just throw in some Ultimate Ears UE 10's and a free fitting from any audiologist. How dare they not ! *******s.

O:)

On the real though.. I do kind of agree. Ear buds of the typical sort are definitely partially to blame for long term hearing degradation. They do leak too much and visa versa, which in turn makes one turn the volume up more. In ear headphones are NOT dangerous if you are alert while you're walking in the street, and allow you to keep the volume almost near off and still sound great.

Altec Lansing are a third party UE vendor and sell UE 3's for about $39 on Amazon. Well worth the price. Amazon.com: Altec Lansing UHP336 Snugfit In-ear Earphone: Electronics

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
So you're upset that Apple allows you to do what you want with your own hardware? Has the UK really become that much of a nanny state since I left?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
As a large number of iPod users are teenagers and children i think that it is apples responsibility. If an adult wants to kill their hearing then thats their business, but children are not expected to have the same level of responsibility.

But why should Apple be responsible for someone else's kids?? That's up to the parents. The only entity that would recognize Apple as the responsible party for these kids would be the cash-happy parents that sue.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does every-one on hear seriously believe that Apple is unable to sell slightly better quality headphones with their iPods, and that they should take no responsibility whatsoever for how equipment they supply is used?

If other mp3 manufacturers can, why can't apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I can't even get the Apple earphones (included with my iPhone 3G) to fit in my ears. They last about 10 seconds then fall out - rubbish.

I bought a pair of Denon AH-C551 two days later, superb quality, 3 sizes of 'buds', noise canceling and capable of silly volume levels.

The company isn't responsible for hearing loss it's the user. If you're ears are ringing when the track ends its a pretty obvious sign to turn the volume down, if you don't what do you expect will happen?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

- Nick

Except in France. A French Lawsuit, that Apple lost, is the reason that all iPods now come equipped with the ability to artificially cap the iPods output volume.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/02/apple-sued-over-ipod-hearing-risks/

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/29/apple-to-introduce-ipod-volume-limiter/

Please note those stores (and associated lawsuits) are over 3 years old.

Reaction score
Did they cheapen the earbuds since the 1st gen nano came out? I've always been really impressed with their sound quality and comfort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
In the long run, for your ear's sake, it's probably a good thing that the earphones let other noises in and don't focus the sound directly at your ear drum. I use my iphones set and don't care too much, or don't really feel like spending money on them...but then again, I'm not one who uses them and blasts the volume...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
you cant just look at unit price, if every single ipod/iphone device came with an upgraded set of headphones. Think about how big that number is... XXXXXXXXX times even $0.50 ea. is a pretty significant financial hit.

In terms of kids not knowing what to do and hurting themselves, thats the parents job. Its short sighted stupidity like that, where people say SOMEBODY should do something that slowly whittles away at freedoms and other stuff. It is absolutely not the governments job to parent your children. When people make mistakes or bad decisions they just look to pass the blame.

Also, lots of people typically have a set of headphones they really like. Why include better headphones that cost more to the company to a consumer that will probably just set them aside and use the nice ones they have.

And then there are people like me that dont really care :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Except in France. A French Lawsuit, that Apple lost, is the reason that all iPods now come equipped with the ability to artificially cap the iPods output volume.

That is very interesting Baggss. I actually did not know that was the reason the later iPods have the Volume Limiter. I think it's a good idea.

I have used it a few times on my Nano as I do have some hearing damage from crazy loud levels when I was a kid and don't want to make it worse.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
First off if other people can hear what you are listening to on headphones that's way too loud.

How long have headphones, and personal music players been around? This problem or issue has been around way before MP3 players. Plus Apple already took some precautions like limiting the volume...What else do you want them to do? Monitor the volume levels and the songs you are listening to?

If the consumer abuses the product, which in turns does damage to themselves who's fault is that?

As for the under age people who are using these products...if they don't know any better then maybe they shouldn't be using these devices or without supervision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Leaky earbuds? Give me a break. In my day they were walking around with boomboxes on their shoulder.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Leaky earbuds? Give me a break. In my day they were walking around with boomboxes on their shoulder.

You are young then! :D

In my day we had a Sony Walkman (tm) :D and open ear sony headphones with the headband!! Amazing for it's time. Walked around blasting Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and other assorted loud and heavy rock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.