Powermac Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
Is the low end PowerMac (1.8 single) better than the updated iMac G5's. Sorry if this is a stupid question?

Reaction score
Believe it or not, the updated iMacs are a much better deal than the Powermacs. W/ the iMac you get a 20" LCD, 250gb HD, 512mb RAM, WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0, all using a 2.0 ghz processor. I would definitly recomend the 20" iMac G5 over the 1.8 ghz Powermac any day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i would it depends. if you plan on tweaking you mac, as in adding hard drive or ram or video card, i would say yes. if not then no.

T

Thud

How about this: if you're doing stuff that needs dual processors, get a dual G5 Powermac. Otherwise, get an Imac.

The single-processor powermac doesn't really make any sense to purchase.

Reaction score
I have a PowerMac 1.8 and am happy with it. I didn't like the iMacs when I saw them and felt them. Warm to the touch at the store and convection cooling which I don't like.

I also had my own Dell monitor and like to buy monitors that I sometimes move around from machine to machine.

Performance of the machine is getting better and better as I'm making the software faster and faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
mmoy said:
I have a PowerMac 1.8 and am happy with it. I didn't like the iMacs when I saw them and felt them. Warm to the touch at the store and convection cooling which I don't like.

I also had my own Dell monitor and like to buy monitors that I sometimes move around from machine to machine.

Performance of the machine is getting better and better as I'm making the software faster and faster.

I'm kind of curious along the same lines as the original poster. Is there any technically superior features of equally clocked single processor PowerMacs vs iMacs? I realize the PowerMac is more expandable in terms of RAM, video, hard drives, CDs etc etc, but is that the only factor there?

ie, does the PowerMac have other advantages maybe from the FSB speed or chipset used?

-Lonerider

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.