problem with Firefox

Reaction score
Excuse me if I sound clueless...But well I am. :[

I just bought an iMac a couple of weeks ago. Love it for many reasons & love the new mouse & keyboard. BUT I have to use Firefox because I own & run a board on yuku.com & I can't do my board design with Safari ( yuku is not compatible with anything but a primitive Safari). My previous computer was a Microsoft pc. With Microsoft I could open 2 windows side by side & compare what I was doing on one window with what I was doing on another.

I haven't figured out how to open 2 windows side by side with Firefox on my mac. I have figured out how to open 2 tabs in the tab bar, but that is not what I want to do. I want to see two windows side by side on my desktop. Is this possible with Firefox on Mac & if it is where do I find out how to do it?

Thanks to anyone helping me here.

Ginny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It's no different than any other version of Firefox - File > New Window

or you could just use the keyboard shortcut

Command + N

Then arrange the windows however you like them.

OP
G
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't clear. I can't open 2 windows at the same time in order to put them side by side, For example in IE I would click on IE or Firefox & then minimize the window. Then click on IE or Firefox again & minimize the second window. Then I would put them side by side so I could compare the actions I was doing in each window.

If I click on new window, which I have tried, a whole new window comes up & replaces the previous window.

Somehow I think I'm missing something here or not understanding something.

Ginny

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It doesn't replace it at all. Opening a new window is the same on both platforms. You can open a window, minimize it and open a second window just like you can on Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I guess I wasn't clear. I can't open 2 windows at the same time in order to put them side by side, For example in IE I would click on IE or Firefox & then minimize the window. Then click on IE or Firefox again & minimize the second window. Then I would put them side by side so I could compare the actions I was doing in each window.

If I click on new window, which I have tried, a whole new window comes up & replaces the previous window.

Somehow I think I'm missing something here or not understanding something.

Ginny
It won't replace anything.
You don't even need to minimize the first window.
Open one Firefox window (see first attachment)
Then hit "Command + N" or open a new window from the File menu (see second attachment)
Then just resize and arrange the two windows as necessary.

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
You need to copy the address from the first window and paste it into the address bar of the second window and hit enter. Viola, same stuff.

If thats what your trying to do that is the only method I know of. If someone knows how to do it easier I'm all ears.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks. I got the two windows up by doing what droflex suggested. Now I need to know how to resize them. I feel like such a dunce here because I didn't have trouble doing this on IE (have been working on computers since windows 3.1) I know I have a bit to learn & I have been searching for answers & reading books, but have not been able to get the hang of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
You only have one re-size point on the Mac - the bottom right corner of the windows - click, hold down and pull, as usual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Thanks. I got the two windows up by doing what droflex suggested. Now I need to know how to resize them. I feel like such a dunce here because I didn't have trouble doing this on IE (have been working on computers since windows 3.1)
Okay, I think I can help you and make things a bit easier.
From what you've been posting, a big part of the difficulty you're having is this:

You are still thinking "Windows".

You need to forget about everything you know about Windows when you're working on your Mac.
Don't compare things you do on your Mac to how you used to do them in Windows, forget about your past experience and knowledge of Windows, don't compare any applications that you used with Windows to those you are using with Mac OS, don't even say things like "I used to do 'X' like this in Windows...", don't say things like "but in Windows I did it like..."... I know this will be extremely difficult, but just find the switch in your brain marked "MS Windows" and turn it off.
Forget about Windows, forget about IE, forget about how any application that you've used in the past worked in Windows.
You're not using that now, you're using a Mac.
What you did and how you did it in Windows is completely irrelevant now, so don't even mention it.

Concentrate on the Mac when you are using it.

Decide what end result you want to achieve and work on getting there.
Don't think about or even mention how you used to do that with Windows.
For example, your first post would read like this:
I have to use Firefox because I own & run a board on yuku.com & I can't do my board design with Safari ( yuku is not compatible with anything but a primitive Safari).

I haven't figured out how to open 2 windows side by side with Firefox on my mac. I have figured out how to open 2 tabs in the tab bar, but that is not what I want to do. I want to see two windows side by side on my desktop. Is this possible with Firefox on Mac & if it is where do I find out how to do it?
...just remove the part about your old setup completely.

Once you start to truly remove Windows from your brain (and I know it is difficult to do so, but you have to really try), it will be much easier to get the hang of things on a Mac.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you thank you didymus!!! Between you & droflex I got it. I am very thankful for all of you & your patience.

Ginny

P.S. I like the way this works better than the other. I'm not suppose to think about. LOL

Reaction score
I forgot to post that I had found a couple firefox add-ons that allow you to right click on a tab and duplicate it. It would be much quicker than the method I described above. One is called Tab Mix Plus. There are others as well. If you go to the firefox website you can check out a lot of cool add-ons.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.