• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Recording Xbox 360 using IMAC 27

Reaction score
So I just ordered a 27in iMac and now I want to know how to record video from my TV. So I need some help:

TV 32 Olevia with no video out but accepts svideo component HDMI and VGA and couple others

Xbox 360 I do have the VGA HDMI and Component connectors

So I need some help being able to record it from my xbox or TV, since I don't have a video out I will probably need a splitter right?

Also what about the interface for the mac? Ive read up on elgatos but I am not sure which one.

I will be using the MAC to record replays or gameplay(if its not laggy.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You will need one of these.

Do you have a camcorder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Do you have a cable box for your TV? I'm asking because I found this article. I have been reading customer reviews of the Pinnacle recorder on Amazon and there't aren't a lot of happy reviews for it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Unfortantly no, I have satellite. I did read some reviews on the pinnacle and they seem to be soso. Ive been doing some other research and they were talking the elgato being the best for the mac. Thier amazon reviews seem good also.

On a side note there was 2 reviews on the pinnacle that used it for my purpose (recording xbox replays) and they said it worked fine but didnt comment on the quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If this is the product, then this may be a more reputable product. I agree, the Amazon customer reviews are much better than the Pinnacle recorder. I would choose the Elgato.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok, Heres a little update on the situation. The Elgato works perfectly fine for its job but the quality is lacking.

I now amd using the Hauppauge HD PVR with Eyetv. It is a nice setup and it records awesome in 720p! But, there is a big price difference.

I paid about 90$ for the Video Capture and 210 for the HD PVR, I got the Eyetv software for free but it is 80$ normally. If you dont want to pay for the Eyetv software there is software called HDPVRCapture that is made from a developer of the Hauppauge for 30$.

It really depends on what kind of quality you are looking for.

OP
D
Reaction score
Another update after using the HD PVR and EyeTV it is a MUCH better setup plus its HD and records in H.264. And it makes wonderful videos, and the quality is superb.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.