smc fan control giving me issues

Reaction score
I have it set to a certain speed for my fan but out of nowhere it wont work.It just stays at factory settings even though its clicked for 3.5k..

thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have it set to a certain speed for my fan but out of nowhere it wont work.It just stays at factory settings even though its clicked for 3.5k.. thoughts?

Uninstall it. You don't need it anyway. Let the fans spin at whatever RPM the engineers designed into the machine. They're controlled thermally.

If you need to know what RPM your fans are spinning at, download and install the free iStat menus.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Uninstall it. You don't need it anyway. Let the fans spin at whatever RPM the engineers designed into the machine. They're controlled thermally.
Could not agree more.

If you need to know what RPM your fans are spinning at, download and install the free iStat menus.
You don't even need that.
Third party monitors (like iStat) will only make you paranoid.
They bring otherwise ignored, irrelevant and unimportant aspects of a machine to the user's attention.

They are also very often unreliable and don't really give any useful or helpful information.

Uninstall anything like SMC or iStat and just enjoy your computer.

OP
I
Reaction score
Well the reason I have it is because my laptop spends alot of time on my lap. And without SMC,video's make my computer to hot to handle. Literally. With SMC I crank it up and it keeps my laptop at 70* celcius tops =-/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well the reason I have it is because my laptop spends alot of time on my lap. And without SMC,video's make my computer to hot to handle.

Well, it's not a laptop (it's a notebook or portable computer) and it shouldn't be spending much time on your lap at all. ;)

Apple said:
Do not place your MacBook on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time.
Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn.
The bottom of the MacBook case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside.
Apple - Support - MacBook - Care and Handling

The computer is only doing what it was designed to do.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You'll be the one asking in a year or so about strange chirping noises coming from your computer.

Would highly recommend a laptop stand if you want to use it on your lap.
I can recommend this one. There are other less expensive options.

Even though you're cranking up the fans, while blocking or partially blocking the vent at the rear edge of your machine, you're still making it get hotter and causing the fans to work harder attempting to draw in and push out air while not providing the means for them the means to do so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.