Free virtualization software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
So...I just set up VirtualBox to run Ubuntu on my MacBook. However, I found out the hard way that VirtualBox isn't compatible with audio CDs.

Is there a >>FREE<< virtualization app that CAN handle audio CDs??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you installed the Virtual Box Guest Additions? LINK

As far as usable free virtualization software is concerned, Virtual Box is it.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What do you mean it can't "handle" audio CDs? Could you please be a little more specific.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
What do you mean it can't "handle" audio CDs? Could you please be a little more specific.

I would like to know as well. I've had good luck with VB, but have never tried playing an audio CD on a guest OS. VB has worked just fine with software CD's and DVD's however. If there is an issue, I'd like to know so I can prepare myself a work around if needed. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Why use an audio CD in a guest OS if you can just use it in the host OS?

Besides I think you should mount the host drive in the VM. Enable it in the settings if it isn't working. (Devices > Mount CD/DVD ROM > you should be able to find the right option, I don't have VB open right now)

OP
dauber
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Here's the thing...VirtualBox can read data CDs (sort of), but it won't touch audio CDs. It even says that in the manual. I learned that after I popped an audio CD in, and suddenly neither the host nor the guest OS would read it. It even caused the SuperDrive to be 100% disabled until I exited out of VirtualBox.

leopard-user1 - the reason I want to use an audio CD in Ubuntu is that I can get Exact Audio Copy running on the Linux side via wine; can't do that with Darwine or the OSX version of wine. I need Exact Audio Copy so I can rip my CDs for my iPod with a reliable rip -- the error correction in iTunes is spotty at best; Max is good, but not quite as stringent as Exact Audio Copy.

I was able to RUN Exact Audio Copy on the virtualized Ubuntu, but when I popped a CD in is when the mess started. During the initial setup and calibration, it asks for an audio CD. When I put in an audio CD, it says the CD is not an audio CD. That's when I checked the manual, and the manual indeed confirms that VirtualBox will not work with audio CDs [yet].

chscag -- Hmm, didn't even know about the guest additions! I'll give that a shot. If it doesn't work, then I guess I could just revert to a dual-boot like I did before...I'm hoping that I can do this without having to boot directly into Ubuntu...eh, what the hey, maybe I will try one of the commercial packages...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My guess is that if the manual says it won't work, it just won't work. You're going to have to find an alternative solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.