Hi im new

Reaction score
Hi i just recently bought my powermac g4 mdd dual 867 mhz from ebay, just wondering becouse it has no hdd and no memory will a pc hdd work in it and also pc ddr memory and if so whaqt is max size can you use, plus as i never owned a mac computer how do i go about installing osx tiger on it, also last question where the pci slots are at front there is a card plugged on top of the board and just wondering what that card is and i dont mean the slot where you slot a card in from the front thanks for replying :).

Also is it normal when powering up without a hdd not to chime?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
Welcome to the Forums! : )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hi i just recently bought my powermac g4 mdd dual 867 mhz from ebay, just wondering becouse it has no hdd and no memory
will a pc hdd work in it
Yes, there is no such thing as a "PC" hard disk.
and also pc ddr memory and if so whaqt is max size can you use
Again, no such thing as "PC" memory.

HDDs are HDDs and RAM is RAM.
If the specs match, then it should work just fine.
Just format the HDD properly and you're off and running.

Specs for your machine can be found here: Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) - Technical Specifications

plus as i never owned a mac computer how do i go about installing osx tiger on it,
Insert your install CD, restart and hold the "C" key on the keyboard.
When it boots up, just follow the instructions.

Also is it normal when powering up without a hdd not to chime?
No, it isn't normal.
If you don't hear the chime, then something is wrong.

OP
C
Reaction score
It powers up no problem and stays on and all usb's light up but i got no hdd and the speaker makes a tick noice when coming on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It powers up no problem and stays on and all usb's light up but i got no hdd and the speaker makes a tick noice when coming on.
Well that is normal.
No HDD means no OS to check, so no chime at startup.

OP
C
Reaction score
So basicly just need a hdd and a os and it should chime also i just put in a 80 gig hdd but as i got no keyboard i cant put disk into it and still no chime but guess having no os on it also means normal. Sorry for sounding dumb but as i said this is my 1st mac as i been useing pc's since windows 3.0 to windows 7 and i did computer programming and computer engineering but all that is useless to a mac as it is totaly diff as there is no bios or dos system to load up. Also forgot to mention i ran to local computer shop and bought 2gb of pc2700 mem sealed in pack but shop dousent sell apple stuff so had to order keyboard and mouse from ebay.

I bought a DVI to VGA connector so i could test the monitor today and becouse i got no os install i get a gray screen with a file in middle flashing a apple logo and a ? so i guess it is running fine or it wouldent show display at all.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi i finaly got everything for the mdd but when i put disk in drive i get a gray screen then after a min it goes black then comes back on and a file in middle of screen comes on with a mac and a ? in the center and i have no idea how to boot it from disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.