What file is the desktop background using?

Reaction score
I couldn't find a proper answer in Google for a question I'm having. And I'm not even sure this is the appropriate forum to ask it, so pardon the newbieness.

I currently have a setup for random wallpapers on my Mac. It is a custom directory with a gazillion of my favorite backgrounds.

Every now and them, however, I want to know what image file is the one showing up at that specific moment on the rotation (file name, that is). Is there any way to know that?

Thanks.

Reaction score
All of the preloaded desktop backgrounds are in /Library/Desktop Pictures. Then if you add a folder then you should know where that folder is. Not sure if this is what you meant.

OP
D
Reaction score
All of the preloaded desktop backgrounds are in /Library/Desktop Pictures. Then if you add a folder then you should know where that folder is. Not sure if this is what you meant.

Not exactly. I have a custom folder with all my favorite backgrounds. I've setup the Desktop to rotate them randomly and change it every 5 minutes. What I want to know is the file name of the current background being shown on an specific moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Unbelievable, thank you so much - I have over 300 paintings cycling through as my wallpaper, and of course with so many I quite often forget which one I am looking at.
I saved the applescript as an application and now I can name my art collection at the touch of a mouse button.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.