Software equivalence and other questions

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm sorry about the title I put on this thread, but I couldn't find something more explicit...

Three month ago, my motherboard of my pc burnt... I don't know why, but the southbridge just burnt... Since then, I was planning to build myself another pc, which I should buy after my vacations (this is short now...)... So it might be beginning january. I wanted to build a monster pc (über pc) for my games (yeap, I'm a hardcore player :p).

But I wanted to make sure about the pc I was going to build, and asked myself what I'd really like to do with the PC, instead of thinking of doing a monster for... we will see later...

After having this answer found (if you want to know, it's movie making (nothing big, just family holidays), sorting pictures, and use a lot of pictures modification, web creation and such)... I then remembered that Mac was best for everything about graphics design, and creation.

Now it is decided, I will go buy a new iMac 27" when I come back from vacation. Maybe it is nice to tell that I'm not a Windows dependant person... I was under windows for my videogames, but I like also different OS (I'm used to use Linux in many distros). So, the switch to Mac is not very difficult to me...

But I still have some questions in my mind. So, here it is :

- When I searched for what programs I didn't wanted to lose when going to Mac, I discovered some solutions for nearly every project. For my aquarium, I can use myaquariumdb in place of aquariogest. For my movies, I still can use video collectors as it has been also created for the mac.
But I'm still missing one application : a program to manage all my video games. Until now, the program I use (game collector) is not beeing developed for the mac. I have a database of nearly 1000 videos games (and more to come...)... I wouldn't like to lose all the data I have now... I can export to different format from the program itself. The only thing I'm missing is the program in itself... I couldn't find any solution yet on the web concerning a manager of video games. Do you know by any chance a program doing this (free or commercial).

- I own a Samsung Omnia, and I would like to still be able to synchronize the data betweem the desktop and the phone. Knowing the Omnia is running under Windows Mobile 6.1, is there any possibility for me to synchronize the datas ?

- I have a backup hard drive (320Gb external usb), in which I store all the data I need to backup before switching. Do you know a good tutorial or article describing the way to transfer my music, photos, and other stuff i've backed up, knowing that I would like after that empty that usb hard drive and use it for the time machine ?

- On the apple website, it is mentionned of a mini mac. What is the mini mac, and what can I do with that ? Is that like a light desktop, a big backup harddrive, or more like a server ?

Oh, I think I forgot to mention the fact that when I'll switch, I'd like to make the switch to make with no windows installed in bootcamp. I buy a mac, and I want to use it as such at 100% and not installing windows on it.

Thanks for your help

Vampyre

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
But I'm still missing one application : a program to manage all my video games. Until now, the program I use (game collector) is not beeing developed for the mac. I have a database of nearly 1000 videos games (and more to come...)... I wouldn't like to lose all the data I have now... I can export to different format from the program itself. The only thing I'm missing is the program in itself... I couldn't find any solution yet on the web concerning a manager of video games. Do you know by any chance a program doing this (free or commercial).
The best-known cataloging software for Macs is probably Delicious Library. Granted, it's not as specialized as Game Collector might have been (it can be used for cataloging books, games, movies, clothes, and just about anything else as well), but it has many features that you might like. I'm not sure about the file compatibility; you'll have to do some more research on that, but at least you'll now know where to start.

- I own a Samsung Omnia, and I would like to still be able to synchronize the data betweem the desktop and the phone. Knowing the Omnia is running under Windows Mobile 6.1, is there any possibility for me to synchronize the datas ?
A quick Google search for "windows mobile sync mac" brought up quite a few results, so it looks like there's hope. In fact, the first result apparently has a free version (though I'm not sure which features you need).

- I have a backup hard drive (320Gb external usb), in which I store all the data I need to backup before switching. Do you know a good tutorial or article describing the way to transfer my music, photos, and other stuff i've backed up, knowing that I would like after that empty that usb hard drive and use it for the time machine ?
When you buy a new Mac at the Apple Store, a Genius will transfer your old data for you. I'm not sure if there are restrictions, but that might be all you need.

- On the apple website, it is mentionned of a mini mac. What is the mini mac, and what can I do with that ? Is that like a light desktop, a big backup harddrive, or more like a server ?
The Mac mini is just a very small computer. It's actually pretty powerful considering its size, and I'd classify it as a decent desktop and potentially a low-end server (Apple now sells a version configured with Mac OS X Server, actually). It offers a cheaper alternative to the iMac for those who have external monitors, keyboards, and mice and don't need a whole lot of power.

Good luck making the switch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.