Just Ordered...

S

saus_mo

A shiny new 12" Powerbook with superdrive, the problem is Apple have said that the original shipping date of yesterday (3rd of May) has to be pushed back to the 11th!!! Is there anyone else having the same problem as me and are Apple generally good at catching up with back-orders? its driving me crazy, i got the day it was meant to come off work so I could play with it for the entire day :(

Reaction score
There is probably a reason for your delay. Did you custom configure to Powerbook, or is it a stock config? Sometimes if you custom config, Apple may run out of a particular part and have to delay orders needing it until they recieve it.

Reaction score
By the way, unlike other companies, Apple only ever delays shipments w/ good reason (For example, if they are planning to release a new iMac, they would delay all the iMac orders so that they could be upgraded to the new model/software).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram
yeah, awhile back when i ordered my ipod, about 5 days before the 4th generation came out, they delayed my order, i then received the g4 ipod. apple would not delay your order for any unnecessary reason.

OP
S

saus_mo

Nah, its just the stock model. Im gonna guess its due to tiger being released and that they are now including it as part of the package

OP
Q

Qaxpla

I'd say it was pushed back because of all new powerbooks being shipped with Tiger now, personally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I agree, it's probably tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
Are new Macs now being shipped with Tiger? I read that it may be an £11 upgrade from Panther...

I ordered my Mini and 12" iBook on 23 April and the date then for delivery was today (5 May) but so far, no UPS man...

Checked the tracking website and it said it was shipped from the factory in the Czech Republic (or somewhere - I forget) to Amsterdam on the 4th...

So it's getting closer...

Since I have been without a laptop for my work for over a month now, and the whole shipment was being held up by nearly 2 weeks for the **** Mini, I'm getting quite ratty...

I will be needing a week or two of fiddling to get used to it after years of PCs and I want to start NOW... or better yet, yesterday... or last week !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Macs that have shipped since the release of Tiger should be sent with a disk that has Tiger on it for you to install, soon all new macs should be shipped with tiger preinstalled. If your macs shipped before the Tiger release date, you may have to pay the small amount for the upgrade, however, I would bet that a polite call to Apple customer support could get you the upgrade for free. Some macs have been delayed in shipping for a couple days, so that the Tiger disks could be put into the box.

OP
K

KuruMonkey

I've noticed that Apple seem a bit strange regarding shipping times.

My first order was a stock 12" powerbook. It took a little over 3 weeks to arrive.

My second was a Mini with an upgrade to 512Mb. It took exactly 2 weeks to arrive.

Yesterday, at 10:10am, I ordered a refurbished dual 2.5 powermac. Its already shipped, and should be here early next week.

In each case, the estimated lead time in the apple store was wildly innacurate (next day becoming over 2 weeks for the PB, 3-4 days becoming a week+ for the Mini, but that had an upgrade to do on it, but then 8 days becoming 1/2 an hour on the refrurbished model; weird, but I'm not complaining about a week less wait on the PM!)

In each case, also, the 3-4 days after shipping for delivery has turned into 5 days precisely.

Also the carrier, TNT netherlands, seems to have 2 classes of tracking number; class A, full details of where the thing is at all times, and class B, no details at all, at any time.

Keyboards and iPods get class A, Computers get class B :dummy:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.