Why get iemulator?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X.3.9
Hi all,

I'm very new to all things Mac, my BIL has given me his Mac which is OS X.3.9 and has a PPC G4.

So as I understand from the sticky I would need to get an Iemulator to run windows on my mac. The thing is, from looking at the link provided this seems to enable the user to effectively have a windows PC; i get that you can then run Office programmes, but my question is why would you want to do this when word:mac, excel:mac etc are out there for mac use?

The only thing I can see from this that benefits is that I will finally be able to easily run a .exe file simply without having to get my mind around the advice and various downloads out there to get these to run on the system I have. (Currently can't download any games for myself or daughter to play at our leisure)

Its highly likely because I am so new to this, but am I missing something?

Lily xxxxxxx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You are best off using Office for mac to open office files.

Alternatively you could use the free neoOffice
http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/olddownload.php#download

Emulating a Windows Intel PC on a PowerPC machine is achievable but painfully slow, certainly too slow do do much work on and far too slow to play games.

There are some games out there that will run on a PowerPC Mac out there, if you indicate what sort of games I am sure the forum users will be able to give you some pointers

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X.3.9
Thanks for your reply; I have all the office applications on my mac and I love them so I am fine on that point, just wondering where the benefits lay in purchasing an emulator???

Lily xxxx

PS, I have browsed around for games on the Mac OS X.3.9, there aren't many, most want more updated systems and since that is not achievable for me at this time...

The main point with the games was that my daughter has a CD with GENS on to enable her to play all the SNES and megadrive games. I don't know much on this as it was given to us by a friend, BUT when you try to open it and play on the Mac it cannot run the .exe files which it uses.

As I understand from reading up on the Net; .exe files were designed for use on Windows and a mac won't run them. At this point I get completely lost in techno language and different packages that are out there to help on this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.