Formatting an External HDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Uni 13/2.53 SL- iPhone 3g
I have a 1TB Time Capsule for backing up my MBP. I also have a new 1TB Western Digital external HDD which I want to use for storing photos and videos.

My wife uses Windows XP on her desktop (I'm still working on getting her to switch.) Some of the videos are more than 4GB which I understand FAT32 cannot store. The purpose is to clear up disk spaces on both laptop and desktop. We would also like to access the files without compatibility issues. What would be the best format to use on the WD?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
NTSF. Google NTSF-3G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can format as NTFS and still read it on the Mac. Unfortunately you won't be able to write to it in that format without installing other software on your Mac. Actually, if it's on a Network, you may be able to.

OP
investinchad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Uni 13/2.53 SL- iPhone 3g
I did some searches for NTFS-3G and it seems interesting. However, it's a fairly new format is it not? I believe the major difference over the regular NTFS is that the 3G allows you to read and write with OSX.

Has anyone had any experience with this new HDD format? If so, has there been any encountered issues?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.