Closing Programs vs Minimizing them

Reaction score
I recently switched over to a mac and had a question about closing programs. I noticed that when I click the red button (the "x"), my application just minimizes instead of closing...I have to go to the menu and click quit for it to close. I was wondering if there was a setting that I could change that could make clicking the "x" close the program instead of minimizing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
As far as I know you can't change that unless there is a 3rd party developer out there that I can't find.

It took me a few weeks to get use to that as well when I switched back to mac. All I do now is press command + q.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The red button does indeed close the application (what they're called in lieu of programs in windows), it just does not quit the application. At least most of them, a few do quit with that button. The yellow button acts similar to the minimize you're familiar with in windows.

This is the normal behavior of OS X. No, there is not a way to change it. You do not need to close an app prior to quitting. The fastest way to close an app was provided above.

Reaction score
Closing programs

I have the same issue. For instance if i close Firefox and press the red button to do so, the name Firefox still persists in the bar at the top. Is that normal? or am I leaving too many programs running in the background? Am I expected to use Command- Q to close all programs? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have the same issue. For instance if i close Firefox and press the red button to do so, the name Firefox still persists in the bar at the top. Is that normal? or am I leaving too many programs running in the background? Am I expected to use Command- Q to close all programs? Thanks

Uhh, did you not just read the post above yours??? :Confused:

This is the normal behavior of OS X. No, there is not a way to change it. You do not need to close an app prior to quitting. The fastest way to close an app was provided above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If i close Firefox and press the red button to do so,

Wait right there. If you start by using the correct phrasing, perhaps you'll come to a better understanding of the facts. You do not close Firefox by using the red button. In the case of Firefox, and many other programs that have the ability to view multiple windows, the red button is for closing a particular window.

So, yeah, what you describe is normal behavior. It was designed that way on purpose. You'll have to adapt to it, as it will not adapt to your past experience with Windows.

Reaction score

I think some have answered your question partially, but if you close stuff with the red button that will just close the primary window and the program will still actually be running. And yes you will be leaving many programs running in the background.

Yes it is normal for the Mac OS, it is working as designed.

You are expected to either hit command-q to quit or go to the drop down menu and hit the quit part of the menu.

Hope that helps,

Xynnar

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.