How Often Do You Switch Off Your Magic Mouse?

Reaction score
Hi, i was just wondering how often you switch off your magic mouse (if at all)
I usually switch it off every time i shut my Mac down (every night) or when i am going to be away from it for a few hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I've been using my Magic Mouse at my work station since the day they came out. I never turn it off. The battery still reports 55% charge left in the batteries. I have a second one that I carry in my bag. I keep it off while in the bag. I suppose those batteries will last for years!

OP
D
Reaction score
Cool. As i said i turn mine off every day and i got it a week after it came out and it is on 50%, so i don't think it makes much difference by turning it off or leaving it on. It probably goes into some kind of sleep mode to save battery power.

Reaction score
I switch it off whenever I am not using it, basically. It's a habit I got from the battery-power-sucking Mighty Mouse that I used to own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Well when I turn off/shut down my iMac for the night I notice that the light on the magic mouse goes off so I assume that shutting down the computer also shuts off the mouse. So considering that the little light under the mouse goes out I assume it's off. Does anyone disagree with this assessment and if so why? Thanks for any reply.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but doesn't it only shut off if you manually turn it off? It might just go into sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I turn it off every weekday for the commute to the office, then turn it back on while at the office, then off again for the commute home, then on for doing stuff with my Mac at home. Also for when I just checked to see if I have the original batteries in it since I bought it. Mouse preferences shows battery level at 56%, and I bought the mouse about two weeks after it was released (didn't have them in my Apple store on the day of release.)

I turn it off because I've found that bluetooth mice will wake up my Macbook while in the bag during transport, so it's mouse/keyboard off, disconnect everything, close lid, put in bag. Drive down interstate. Arrive at office. Open lid, enter password on wake, turn on mouse/keyboard, connect everything I'd connect (which is only power at the office.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MBP 13"
Well when I turn off/shut down my iMac for the night I notice that the light on the magic mouse goes off so I assume that shutting down the computer also shuts off the mouse. So considering that the little light under the mouse goes out I assume it's off. Does anyone disagree with this assessment and if so why? Thanks for any reply.

That's what I noticed too. I assume that when I turn off the MBP, that it turns off or puts the mouse to sleep. I've had my Magic Mouse for about two weeks and haven't turned it off. It's at 87% right now.

Maybe after these first set of batteries runs out, then I may switch if off manually just to see if it lasts any longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I actually only turn my mouse off when I'm off to bed for the night, otherwise it's on all the time. I do notice though that the battery life on these things aren't all that hot...maybe 4ish weeks give or take depending on use. I have sooooooo many packages of new AA batteries laying around that I truly could care less though...so it's on just about all the time :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.