• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do you still use a land line?

Reaction score
75992.strip.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Ha! I love Dilbert.

We still have a landline in our household, but I never ever use it. I have my cell phone with me 24/7, and is on even while I'm sleeping (alarm). I know of some people, including my teachers, that have dropped their landline phones and use cell phones as their house phone.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would never be without a landline in my home. Cell phones are too fickle. In the event of an emergency, I want to know for sure that I can call 911, regardless of the state of the cell network or whether my battery is charged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yes. It's less expensive than a cell phone. But, for an extra 5 bucks, we can add a cell phone to an existing Family Plan to have for road emergencies or other times when we "need" a mobile phone.

Some college housing (university and private) no longer has a land line for each room since so many (most? all?) students have cell phones.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, I keep only the basic service. It's like $8.50 which grows to $20 after the 10 or 12 different taxes get added to it. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yes, but I also use modems on a daily basis.

Even if I didn't have the modem requirement.... which cell's flat out suck for...

I'd still be stuck with a land line, or I'd have to go walk into the street to use the phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
As CWA said I would not be without a land line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
Landline free since 2003. My back-up is my parents house if I have any problems with my cell. Landline to me is another bill that I don't need to afford.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
A what? I've been cell only since I first got it in 05. I've never paid for my own landline phone except as a formality to have DSL installed. We never plugged a phone into that land line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes, we have package deals here with Broadband, and we get free calls to geographic numbers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Yes, but only for calling international numbers (which is never) :|. Since i've been on contract i've not had to worry about keeping credit so i've just been using my mobile for phonecalls.

Reaction score
I got my first cell phone in 1996. I have been completely landline-free since 2002.

The argument about using one if there is a huge emergency where the cell phone network is down is moot to me, since at that point calling 911 would be futile as it would be overloaded with other callers, and the emergency response teams would also be overloaded. Of course, I live in southern california, so when I think of disasters I am thinking of major ones ;) Plus I'm rarely at home anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yes, I do. The sound quality is better, the service is more reliable, the battery never runs out, and you can use it to call your cell phone when you lose it in the couch cushions.

The argument about using one if there is a huge emergency where the cell phone network is down is moot to me, since at that point calling 911 would be futile as it would be overloaded with other callers, and the emergency response teams would also be overloaded.
Some people like to be in touch with their loved ones in times of crisis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
I currently dont have a land line and havent had one in a few years however I am having a friend setup a voip system at my house.

I am going to have a phone hooked up to it as a "house" phone.

The main sell though is that I am going to have some phone numbers on it forward to my cell phone so that when selling on craigs list, or buying on craigs list for that matter I can give out that number instead of my real cell phone number. This way I dont have to deal with those weirdos that save my number for whatever reason or I can know that the incoming call is about a craigs list add since I can adjust the caller ID the forwarded call would display to my phone. If I have any issues with someone calling a lot I can also simply delete the number off the system and it will no longer forward to my cell phone or anywhere for that matter.

If you havent messed around with a VOIP system yet I would strongly recommend it. Especially for your work place you can save $200-$300 a month pretty easily. It also has many great features that are extremely expensive or you cant get on a regular land line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I would never be without a landline in my home. Cell phones are too fickle. In the event of an emergency, I want to know for sure that I can call 911, regardless of the state of the cell network or whether my battery is charged.

I couldn't agree more. Living in Southern California the earth occasionally decides to move of it's own accord and in an unpredictable manner. When these events occur, all of the cell towers withing a wide range of said activity tend to trip offline for safety reasons making the cell networks completely unusable. The last time this happened the land-line from my desk at work to my home functioned fine but the Cell networks (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile) were down for several hours.

I will never be without a land-line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I agree. And it doesn't have to be just for a "major emergency" as someone else commented. I recently called 911 on the land line when I suspected a prowler was outside.

Landline free since 2003. My back-up is my parents house if I have any problems with my cell.
That's convenient.... whenever you're at your parents' house.

I've never paid for my own landline phone except as a formality to have DSL installed. We never plugged a phone into that land line.
But do you pay for the line as if it did have a phone plugged in to it? As I began reading the other responses, I was wondering what I would save if I decided to kill the land line but keep the DSL, or if that is even possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
yup still have one .... don't know why, but we do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I haven't had a land-line since 2006 when I got my first "real" cell phone.

I'm always on the go, between work and daily errands.. It's just more cost effective for me to use a cell/smartphone vs. a home land-line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have personally never paid for a land line, though there have been times I wish I did have one just because the service inside my apartment can be pretty bad at times. I know it's the building and not AT&T because the second I step outside my door I have five bars and crystal clear quality. I'm planning on moving over the summer, if I have the same quality issues there then I'll probably get a land line.

We had a land line back home but nobody ever used it for voice calls (my dad used it for faxes). In fact, we had all gotten so used to using only our cell phones that if the house phone was ringing, nobody ever picked it up because we figured it wasn't anybody important (9 times out of 10 it was a telemarketer).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I agree. And it doesn't have to be just for a "major emergency" as someone else commented. I recently called 911 on the land line when I suspected a prowler was outside.

That's convenient.... whenever you're at your parents' house.

But do you pay for the line as if it did have a phone plugged in to it? As I began reading the other responses, I was wondering what I would save if I decided to kill the land line but keep the DSL, or if that is even possible.

No, you don't "need" an active phone line. You can setup what's called a "dry loop." Basically it's a dummy line. The digital side of the line is active for the DSL to travel down, but the analog/phone side of the line is not active.

I used to work for Bell Internet (Canada's largest ISP), and I know we could do that.

Call your ISP and see if they can do "DSL without a home phone."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.