SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner?

D

Desolate One

They both have great ratings on VersionTracker, I've been checking them out since I'm also in the market for one. CCC is much cheaper @ $5 vs SD @ $20. Unfortunately I haven't used either yet so i can't give you my take on one or the either. I'm sure someone will chime in that's used these products though.

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
Desolate One said:
They both have great ratings on VersionTracker, I've been checking them out since I'm also in the market for one. CCC is much cheaper @ $5 vs SD @ $20. Unfortunately I haven't used either yet so i can't give you my take on one or the either. I'm sure someone will chime in that's used these products though.

I'm using CCC to clone my HD as I type this in preperation for upgrading to Tiger. I'll be back when I'm done to report how it went. I got it because it was cheaper, and I hope that was the right choice. It got great reviews, just like SuperDuper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've used both. I prefer SuperDuper simply because it's more customizable and powerful than CCC. If you need a simple backup app just to make a complete clone of your drive, CCC will do fine. Anything more complex and I'd recommend SuperDuper.

D

Desolate One

schweb said:
I've used both. I prefer SuperDuper simply because it's more customizable and powerful than CCC. If you need a simple backup app just to make a complete clone of your drive, CCC will do fine. Anything more complex and I'd recommend SuperDuper.

Say I was going to replace my HDD and wanted to boot to the exact same system, just w/ more space. Will I be able to do so w/ either product or will SuperDuper be the best choice for me?

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
I used Carbon Copy Cloner and it works flawlessly. Just not on Tiger, yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
SuperDuper would work just fine. It's a great app and it works fine on Tiger.

Not to mention the developer was one of our sponsors for the contest ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
I was using CCC, but it has started giving me problems on Tiger (usually it works, but sometimes it freezes when I type in my admin password.)

-Chris

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
Well, currently CCC doesn't officially support Tiger. An update is in the works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.