the trackpad has gone bad

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first mac (MBP unibody 15 inch, 2.8 GHz, 4GB mem)

It worked great for the first 2-3 weeks.. and now the trackpad has gone bad.

Basically this makes the computer unusable because I can't find the feature to turn off the trackpad. ( i had to retype parts of this message several times)

The cursor jumps about the screen and click randomly. I read somewhere this could be caused by a swelling battery causing damage?

I called customer support and they said I still have a limited warrenty so I'm going to send it in. One thing they said that made me apprehensive was that they would call me if it was user related damage.

Is apple known for blaming their customers for damages? was there anything I could have done to cause this. ( I baby it to the extreme)

I have never had problems with a windows computer like this before... it's kind of making me re-think this...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Hey, sorry to hear you're having problems :|

There is a way to disable the trackpad if you have a mouse plugged in. I'm not completely sure if it would stop your cursor jumping about the screen and clicking, but if it's definitely a trackpad problem it should work:

Go to System Preference > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad > Tick "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" box

See how that works out.

Also, I wouldn't say that Apple always blames customers for damages, but they definitely look for user damages on the device if it is damaged. If you generally did nothing that could have damaged it, the warranty should cover it. But if you have damaged it somehow, they'll know about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I don't suppose you've tried wiping it off? (Use a damp or dry cloth, nothing wet.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Try tipping your Mac upside down while off but open.
Occasionally a small piece of grit / sand can get between the trackpad and the trackpad enclosure. A small, slightly damp paintbrush can remove grit too.

Otherwise check your typing position to make sure you are not using the trackpad with your lower thumbs/wrist area while typing.
S.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.