• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing to iMOVIE

P

philgrad

So, normally I have no trouble importing Quicktime files into iMovie, but iMovie won't let me import this new movie trailer I just downloaded (as a Quicktime file). i'm using OS X, if that matters.

what am i doing wrong? when i try it, it says 'The file could not be imported: (-2126)'

what should I do?

thanks!

Reaction score
philgrad said:
So, normally I have no trouble importing Quicktime files into iMovie, but iMovie won't let me import this new movie trailer I just downloaded (as a Quicktime file). i'm using OS X, if that matters.

what am i doing wrong? when i try it, it says 'The file could not be imported: (-2126)'

what should I do?

thanks!

Can Quicktime even open the movie? If it can, it should be able to import into iMovie. If not, use a program such as Xray to convert it. I have also had some trouble in the past importing movies into iMovie. I find it's best to just keep converting to different quicktime files and see how it goes; see what works.

OP
P

philgrad

thanks!

thanks for the idea -- i just downloaded xRay, and, indeed I can now import the file into iMovie -- but is there a way I can get the same function w/o having to pay for it? the license for xRay is $39, and I probably won't use it after this project -- can you think of a more cost-effective solution?

Reaction score
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/xrayvideo.html

I believe that you can use xRay w/ out paying as shareware. I think that it should have full functionality. However, I have only used it once, so I am not positive. I do know that it puts a watermark at the bottom of your video. However, with a little looking around on Versiontracker.com and other sites of that nature, you should be able to find another Video-Converter type program.

I'll take a look around and post again soon.

Reaction score
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15473

ffmpeg

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22331

ExportToQT: I've never used/heard of it, but it looks like it should do what your looking for.

Xray seems like your best bet, but I've also heard good things about ffmpeg. Give both a try and see what works/doesn't work. The best app will depend on how you want to use it.

Check out the "Multimedia" section of Versiontracker.com for more options, and let me know how it goes. I'll dig in deeper if you need more help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.