• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

What's the word on Tiger...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
So, now that those of you who have Tiger, you've had acouple days to play with it. So...what's the word...yay or nay?

B

Brigrat

WasabiTaylor said:
So, now that those of you who have Tiger, you've had acouple days to play with it. So...what's the word...yay or nay?
For me its a diffinte "yay." I like Spotlight, Dashboard is really cool, overall, no hardware or software conflicts. Everything works, and I enjoyt he new features. I don't know that it is an essential upgrade, but I had the cash, and I have been very happy with my decision to upgrade.

M

menace3054

for me its neutral. i honestly dont feel like im on a new operating system. i havent used spotlight yet becuase i havent had the need.. i mean i like it because its faster, but i dont think its a must have upgrade, short term. i wish i would have waited for the 3rd parties to come out with compatability upgrades

R

ravenstor

yayish,

good features but pretty buggy with mail, safari and some apps like photoshop, so 10.4.1 will be helpful.

K

Kokopelli

<whisper>yay</whisper>

Wait for 10.4.2. Nice features, but nothing that can't wait for a bit more stability plus time for 3d party developers to get fixes in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
It's pretty cool. I like dashboard more than I thought I would-- it is a bit slicker than Konfabulator, and the having the widgets in a seperate deskspace works nicely. Over all the system seems a bit faster but I have had some stability problems-- the system doesn't like the resolution of my new monitor and when I set a 1680 x 1050 wallpaper it crashes out of the wallpaper selector. There are a few other issues I've had with things acting funny. The Safari and Mail updates are nice-- Safari is much faster than it was.

I'd say it's worth the upgrade, but it was obviously rushed into release. Word is there will be a 10.4.1 update before the end of the month, which means they were working on the update prior to the gold code being finalized. Kokopelli is probably right, waiting for 10.4.2 wouldn't be such a bad idea.

O

october

I'm waiting for my discs in the mail for the up-to-date for my new powerbook. Its possible to just hold off on tiger until the update comes out later right?

I am excited, but i feel i would be more annoyed than happy with all the bugs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I love it despite its slightly beta feel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
i barely had time to get to know panther, but i like tiger so far. i was surprised at some of the apps that actually had updates already (adium, candybar) and dissapointed by some major ones that didnt (Roxio Popcorn :eek:neye: ) I've had an 'unexpected quit' here and there with safari, but overall i like it. safari is definitely much faster. I really like dashboard, very sleek. And I also really like the RSS Visualizer as my screen saver. Overall I'd say wait, the only reason I didnt is because I wanted to take advantage of my student discount while I still could!

A

andrew@twenty20

Hum, Dashboard looks cool but I live in Australia and some things don't seem to work.
The weather and the Yellow pages phone book. Any ideas out there?

M

menace3054

andrew@twenty20 said:
Hum, Dashboard looks cool but I live in Australia and some things don't seem to work.
The weather and the Yellow pages phone book. Any ideas out there?

a lot of those dont work unless your in a major metro area. your area probably just isnt supported, my traffic doesnt work here in tucson, az. try clicking the little i button and seeing if your info there is correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Ref Weather Widget, make sure you are online. Type the nearest big city, Australia then control click (right click) the name typed > Validate, fingers crossed. I've got mine set for Hamilton, New Zealand. Can get Wellington & Auckland, haven't tried any others.
Yellow pages is just for the US but there are Aussie Widgets on various sites.
eg. Mac update, Version Tracker, Dashboarder etc.
Have fun.

A definite Yes to Tiger for my non critical, home Mac.
No problems with the software I use ~ I checked first :)

Anyone who needs VPC etc for business, important work etc might be better to wait till the various companies get their updates out.

C

Cloudane

In short - two thumbs up.

Spotlight especially rocks. It's every bit as efficient and useful as Apple hyped it to be!

My full review:
http://www.deryk.co.uk/index.php?p=43

About the weather widget, I have the same problem in the UK... people are screaming about it on the Apple forums ;) Weird thing is, if you go to the website itself (accuweather.com) then my town shows up. But the widget doesn't want to know.

I

IChing

I agree that spotlight really rocks, I even use it start programs and of course find documents.
I am just starting to get to know automator and it seems something I will use more and more
I like the increase speed and performance of my PB with the update

D

dougwebster

Fix the weather widget

About the weather widget, I have the same problem in the UK... people are screaming about it on the Apple forums ;) Weird thing is, if you go to the website itself (accuweather.com) then my town shows up. But the widget doesn't want to know.[/QUOTE]

If you type in the exact name into the city box as used on accuweather's site, you should get it ok. I type in 'Aberdeen, United Kingdom', et voila, I get a reasonable weather report on my desktop when required!
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=0&forumid=6#

D

dougwebster

Fix the weather widget

If you type in the exact name to the city box as used on accuweather's site, you should get it ok. I type in 'Aberdeen, United Kingdom', et voila, I get a reasonable weather report on my desktop when required!
:doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Try just typing the name of the city and then hit the enter (return) key.

That will also try to validate your town, and if it has multiple towns with that name in the database, it will give you a drop-down selection box.
I just checked Ulverston again - no luck though!
Any larger towns near you?

Besides, what do you need a weather guide for Britain for? Just hold Command+Option, click on the weather graphic and manually choose between drizzle, rain, sunshower, fog, sleet, overcast.... ;)

I just typed in Munich at first and was told it was snowing outside (we had 28°C here yesterday,...) until I selected Munich, Germany from the list.

C

Cloudane

Nearest larger town is Barrow-in-Furness, no luck there.

Kendal - About 30 miles - nothing
Lancaster - About 45 miles - nothing
Carlisle - About 100 miles - aha! Success! Great... but that's quite a long way, I think the weather can differ quite a bit over there :)

Come on, I'm a Brit, I like to know how heavy it'll be raining for the next few days so I can decide how much tea to get in ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
As most airports have weather stations try the nearest city with one :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.