os x and then came windows and the prooblems

Reaction score
Hi.
I am trying to fix a mess on a friends computer that somebody else made. She has os x leopard and she asked a guy to fix her up with dual booting system so he could use windows also. She couldn't boot back to os x and called me.

The first problems was that i don't know how this guy installed windows. I presumed that he used Boot camp, I should say misused.

1. First I tried to restart holding option key. When the "menu" came up, there was only the windows icon to chose, no Macintosh hd or os x possibility.

2. I inserted the mac os x installation cd in windows and installed boot camp. I got the boot camp panel in control panel and got "you don't have administrative privileges" error (there is no doubt that I had all the privileges, it was the only profile and I doubled checked with everything I (and google) could think off). I also got the diamond shaped icon in the lower right corner of the screen (sorry for not using the right words, english is not my native language), when i clicked and chose "reboot in os x" it also didn't work (something related with some disk error, i don't remember exactly right now). I was afraid that this "geeky windows guy" deleted or partitioned the whole hd.

3. With os x dvd still inserted, I restarted holding option key again and booted os x from the dvd. With Disk Utility I was able to see the Macintosh Hd and (by going to restore and clicking image) was able to browse through it - all the data are still there, the whole structure of the disk is intact, juhej. I verified the disk, it was ok, despite of that i also clicked repair, it was ok, and i also repaired the disk permissions. Everything was super ok.

4. When booted from os x dvd, in startup disk, there is also no option to boot from Macintosh hd (only os x dvd and network).

5. I tried to reinstall os x, using Archive and Install together with Preserve Users and Network Settings. It failed (again, i forgot the exact error, sorry).

6. I also played around in Terminal when booted from os x dvd, without success.

7. Holding shift key to boot in safe mode also doesn't work.

I would just like a way to somehow choose to boot from Macintosh hd. ANYONE?

I tried everything I could think off, the next step I am almost sure it would work but it takes a looooong time: I was thinking to use restore with disk utility, make the Macintosh hd the source and external hd destination. Since there is 200g of data it takes time. Then just format everything and install os x from scratch.
The thing I also haven't tried is to run apple update for boot camp inside windows (since it is sp3), but I doubt this could influence the "option key startup" options.

I would really appreciate any constructive suggestions, I am really curious what went wrong.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the OS X boot sector has been overwritten by Windows and that's why you can not boot to OS X. What I would do now without getting too complicated, is to reinstall Leopard OS X from the original install DVD.

That of course means that you will lose everything in OS X as well as what's in Windows. There's really no sure way to backup the Windows XP partition without being able to boot from OS X. (WinClone requires OS X)

Boot from the Leopard DVD and select "Utilities", "Disk Utility" from the top menu. Select "First Aid". Remove both partitions and make the disk one partition. Erase. Select HFS Extended Journal as the format and name the hard drive "MacIntosh HD". After doing that, you can proceed to installing Leopard OS X.

You might want to try to save her data from OS X before doing all that. I don't know if it's even possible to do so.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh the delights of so called 'friends' who are experts with PC and never ever handled a Mac before! Think you are in for a full clean install of Leopard, and then update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.