How often do you replace your mac?

Reaction score
Ok so I've been going through PC's like crazy this last few years. On top of the multiple other problems I had with them, they would be completely useless in just over a year which at that point my warranty would be gone.

Now, I currently have a slow eMachines desktop that has only lasted a year and a half and is almost completely useless. My laptop and my wife's laptops have all died after a year so we have 3 dead laptops sitting in the closet. This is really getting ridiculous!

I've been really looking into iMacs this last couple weeks and i've been really impressed. I like that they come with a year warranty and an extra two years can be purches for pretty cheap.

My question for you guys is how often do you end up having to buy a new Mac whether it be for it being outdated or not working?

Reaction score
I've been using both my Macbook and my iMac for more than two years now. I am not exaggerating or being biased in any way when I say this, but both of them are working as good as the day that I bought them. I do experience hiccups every once in a while, but it's not like I expect either of them to last forever, you know. With proper maintenance and care both internally and externally, you should expect your Mac to last for a very long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm still using a Power Mac G5 from 2003.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My MacBook Pro hits 3 years old later this month.

First computer since the early 80's that I've not felt compelled to replace after about 12 months. It is the first computer I've owned since the early 90's that has made it beyond about 18 months as my primary home computer.

I'd like a new one, but have no compelling urge. This one is still working just as well now as when I brought it home for everything I do on it.

edit: I should say that my issue was always a matter of needing (or wanting) the latest and greatest. The need to upgrade so often has even slowed down with Win machines now that the CPU makers have really run into a wall of sorts.

Have never purchased any computer because the previous computer "died". It was really because the old one was lacking in some way that compelled me to purchase a new one. Just don't have that sense with my MBP.

OP
J
Reaction score
That's awesome they are working out for you guys that long. The more I hear from mac users the more I think I will get one instead of replacing my piece of crap emachines with another PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're going through computers that often then you might have some other problem. You've either been buying poor quality computers or there's a power outlet issue in your house that's burning out your computers. If it's the former, then getting a superior build computer should solve the problem. If it's the latter, then getting a new Mac isn't going to solve your problem since that one is going to fry as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I bought my MacBook back in February of 2008. The machine I have is a late 2007 model and it still runs tremendously well. Granted, I have made a few upgrades to make it run better (upgraded to a 7200 RPM hard drive and upgraded my RAM from 1 GB to 4GB), but it's the same basic machine I bought almost two years ago. I could see using this thing for another couple years at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
My first mac as an adult, my G4 iMac from 2001 is with my mom and is JUST this month dying a slow, loud death. Not bad for nearly 10 years with absolutely NO servicing ever. (dust buildup is the culprit now I think)

My 2006 MBP i am typing on right now is running fine (hot but fine) and I've had the 23" apple cinema display since late '06 running all the time, flawlessly, even after an open window wind gust knocked it on its face.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I bought and traded quite a bit when I first switched. I learned that I use quite a bit less power than any of my hardware provided. I'm happy with what I have now, and I really can't see myself buying anything new unless something catastrophic happened or my career changed drastically. 90% of what I do is done on my MacBook Air, including running VM's and the like. That's just me though, YMMV.

Reaction score
I usually get 3-5+ years

I've had fantastic success with my mac hardware/software. My rule of thumb for purchasing has always been to buy the best I can possibly afford (don't skimp if the budget will support it), and then skip a generation or two. I've never had a machine "stop working" on me, I have given some away or limited their use when I've moved on to more glitz and glamour, but that's always after many years.

I usually get 3-5+ hard years of use out of my macs. I have a macbook pro that is in its third year and It is still as solid as the day I bought it. The hinge on the screen is still as tight as day one, the machine does 12-18 hrs per day in heave production. I did upgrade the hard drive and added some ram for a combined cost of $150, but that's a far cry less than a replacement machine. This machine runs Windows in a virtual machine all day as well.

Of note, I've not had to reinstall the Mac OS since purchasing the machine, although I've done upgrades from tiger->Leopard->Snow Leopard. All without a hitch.

I have an iMac from 2004 that's still my primary home machine for browsing, iTunes, streaming movies, etc. etc.

I also have an original iMac from 2000 that runs in the basement as a reference portal for google searches.....the thing just won't die

Our company has switched entirely to Mac hardware. The machines last longer and feel new longer without getting loose hinges, keys breaking and falling off, etc. All are solid machines.

Good luck

(p.s., I agree with the previous poster, if you're having them die that quickly something else may be going on...getting infected with spyware/virus, etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My desktop is about 4 years old (Quad PPC G5 PowerMac) and my Laptop is pushing 6 years old (G4 PPC iBook).

I'm going to replace the desktop first since it is having overheating issues on of the CPUs which limits me to throttling back the CPUs when doing things that heavily task the CPUs (like converting video). The cost of getting it fixed makes it not really worth the effort for a machine that will shortly (1-2 years) be unable to run any newer software. The iBook will probably be used for another year or so, unless it dies first (knock on wood). It's really only used when I am out of town on business for web surfing and e-mail and as such it doesn't get heavily tasked.

One thing I have learned from the G5 issue? Buy Apple Care. Had I purchased it I could have gotten the G5 CPU issue repaired for a total cost of around 10% - 15% of what it would otherwise cost. The 10% - 15% is simply the cost of the 3 year Applecare plan up front.

OP
J
Reaction score
If you're going through computers that often then you might have some other problem. You've either been buying poor quality computers or there's a power outlet issue in your house that's burning out your computers. If it's the former, then getting a superior build computer should solve the problem. If it's the latter, then getting a new Mac isn't going to solve your problem since that one is going to fry as well.

You know I actually thought it was the power for awhile and I even tested the outlets but they seemed to be fine. I've always had them on surge protectors as well.

Most computers I bought were middle of the pack ones and they were always new, I think I just have horrible luck haha.

I figure if I buy a mac and it lasts 2 years its a good investment

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
Did you buy them with the bare minimum ram that comes with or did you do a few immediate upgrades? I've noticed that most computers (Apple is not exempt from this either) ship with the bare minimum of ram to make the machine work. Both of my eMac's (1ghz and 1.25ghz), as well as my TiBook 1ghz shipped from the factory with only 256mb of ram. IDK about you, but running any machine on only 256mb of ram is like trying to run a marathon breathing through a straw.

Ram is a big factor in performance. It doesn't matter if that middle of the pack machine has a 92 core processor, holographic ultra realistic video, 83.1 surround sound, and 3tb of hard drive if it doesn't have enough ram to even load the OS in less than 2 minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I've had my macbook pro now for about 2 months. Love it! I do some pretty heavy stuff on this machine with a core 2 without problems what so ever.

I'll probably hold on to this baby for quite a while either way. I have an iMac 27 inch on the way with the new i7's for my really heavy stuff and heavy media, and I do want a macbook for traveling. But this 15 inch MBP will stay with me for a while though!

That being said...when the new i7's MBP's come along I'll be itching to get one...even though in truth it will be major over kill for my laptop needs ;) hehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I've upgraded my notebooks every 2-3 years, but more from a financial perspective. I know I won't be able to hang on to one for 5-6 years, so selling one around the 2 year mark still gets me a fairly decent resale price.

I'd agree with skipping the first generation of anything though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
1,1 macbook 40 months old and running perfect with snow leopard (except for the battery). Mini 3 months old.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah the computer I have now has a gig of RAM, but ones in the past have been pretty anemic on RAM. I didn't realize that it could effect how long the computer would last other than it just being too slow.

Like Aptmunich said I think that's probably what I'd do to is resell them after a couple years, that's one thing macs seem to have too is resale value! I would never buy a PC that was used unless it was a refurb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I get a new Mac every year. I eBay the old one, get 80% of what I paid for it, and buy a new one. If I wait any longer than a year, it depreciates too much in value, so this way I always have a new computer while not paying very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
I sure wish I had that kind of money to blow...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
It's not a lot of money at all actually. I bought a white MacBook back in 2006, sold it a year later and bought a MacBook Pro, only spent $200 on it, sold that a year later and bought an iMac, spent about $200, sold that just a few months ago and bought another MacBook Pro, spent nothing. I actually made $100 on selling the iMac and buying the MBP. Basically I am still carrying the initial investment on the original MacBook over onto every new computer I get, with just a small amount to make up for the difference in depreciation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.