Adobe illustrator advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i mac
Hi all im new to the forums and also just made the switch from PC,so im also new to Apple Macs.
After reading about the various drawing packages available i see that adobe illustrator seems to get the most thumbs up.
As a hobby i am in to t shirt printing and need the software for designs!! I have a few questions which i seem to be having troubles finding answers for.Which i would be grateful if anyone could chuck some knowledge my way.
1>where is a reliable place to purchase software?
2>Does illustrator come as a combined package suitable to paint and vector draw? For example being able to shade within bold line vector drawings?
3>I also notice there are all kinds of different versions like "full".Is there anything thats more suited to the home use hobbyist as opposed to a big business?
Like a lot of people coming from a PC i have only used Corel draw.
Im very pleased to finally get a mac but now seem a little lost.
Any advice and info again would be much appeiciated and and i thank you in advanced.
Spizzo

after posting this i read the thread about gimp and inkscape ill try these out!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I've used Illustrator quite a bit, but keep in mind, I'm no expert.

Illustrator is dedicated mostly to illustrating vector-based graphics.

1. A reliable place would be anywhere that sells said software. If you're looking to purchase online, Adobe would probably be your best bet.

2. Adobe sells different packages of software, I believe you can buy it alone, or have it come with other Adobe products. As far as shading vector objects, you can definitely do this in Illustrator. You'll find that there are many different approaches to get the same kind of result.

3. I've only ever used the trial version (which is a 30-day trial copy with full functions of the program), and of course the "full, unlocked" version.

I would recommend Illustrator highly if you're making your own t-shirt designs. Vector graphics are perfect for this application because you can re-size the image(s) without them distorting.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i mac
Thanks for the advice ill save them pennies and get illustrator.

KBJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacMini, iPod video, and 32GB iPhone 3Gs.. iPad 3G (Soon!)
Illustrator is on of the staple pieces of software in the Graphics industry, and no doubt will be more than capable of doing what you want it to do. However, like most professional level apps it comes with a learning curve. I would suggest taking a class or two or even trying Software training online-tutorials for Adobe, Microsoft, Apple & more to get started with it. Having some basics will help you make the transition from Corel to Illustrator, and get back to making your shirts faster and with less frustration.

Weird.... I typed in a raw address of a training site I've used a few times and somehow it came up looking like an advertisement. Just to be clear I'm in no way affiliated with them. Just a happy customer.

D

darque

illustrator cs4 is perfect for your lifestyle... I AM AN EXPERT (adobe certified actually, whoopy ? ) but i too am a screenptrinter and a illustrator photoshop instructor art Art institutes.

There is a new feature called screenprint preview that is WAY NEEDED awesome.

And when i switched from coreldraw to illustrator it was a nightmare. Try not assuming they are the same...ok. you will get frustrated and you will persevere... trust me.

What you must learn immediately;
the difference between the three selection tools:
a. selection tool (black arrow) selects whole paths
b. direct selection tool (white arrow) edits anchor points of paths above
c. direct selection + tool (w.a. with a + ) this tool is awesome. it selects individual paths inside groups or compound paths.

learn the pen tool and by a book.
good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.