• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to connect a DV cam without a firewire port?

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got my wife a MacMini although I warned her that I am completely♦ ignorant in the Apple world.
Well, now i have to help her sort things out :Angry-Tongue:
So she wants to connect our DV camcorder to her MacMini to capture movies in iMovie '09.
But the MacMini does not have a firewire port. Only USB ports.
And it refuses to recognize the cam.
Is there a workaround?
Maybe a third party driver?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Umm, the Mac Mini does have firewire (if you doubt me, look here: http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html under peripheral connections) - it's firewire 800, and you'll need to use a cable or intermediary device that will step the firewire 800 to firewire 400 to hook in your camcorder.

You can't use a USB connection to transfer video from a DV camcorder (if it were a hard disk based standard def camcorder it'd be a different story) - you need to use firewire.

OP
X
Reaction score
Umm, the Mac Mini does have firewire (if you doubt me, look here: Apple - Mac mini - Technical Specifications under peripheral connections) - it's firewire 800, and you'll need to use a cable or intermediary device that will step the firewire 800 to firewire 400 to hook in your camcorder.

You can't use a USB connection to transfer video from a DV camcorder (if it were a hard disk based standard def camcorder it'd be a different story) - you need to use firewire.

Well it does work with USB on PC!
Anyway, thank you very much. You helped me and saved me some wasted time.
I understand that a standard firewire cable, which I do own, is not compatible with the Mac Mini.
Could you point me to the right cable needed for the task?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Yeah, USB video transfer is supported in Windows, just not in mac (at least not for transfer on cameras that use cassettes)

can use something like this:

Amazon.com: Belkin 6ft FIREWIRE 800/400 Cable ( F3N403-06-APL ): Electronics

or

Amazon.com: Micro Accessories FIR-1369-AD-01 400 to 800 FireWire Adapter: Electronics

just do a search for Firewire 800 to 400 - there are plenty of options in all price ranges :)

Personally, I have an external hard drive chassis that has FW 400, 800, USB and esata on it. I plug the 800 into the mini, then my camera into the 400 port on the hd chassis.

OP
X
Reaction score
Yeah, USB video transfer is supported in Windows, just not in mac (at least not for transfer on cameras that use cassettes)

can use something like this:

Amazon.com: Belkin 6ft FIREWIRE 800/400 Cable ( F3N403-06-APL ): Electronics

or

Amazon.com: Micro Accessories FIR-1369-AD-01 400 to 800 FireWire Adapter: Electronics

just do a search for Firewire 800 to 400 - there are plenty of options in all price ranges :)

Personally, I have an external hard drive chassis that has FW 400, 800, USB and esata on it. I plug the 800 into the mini, then my camera into the 400 port on the hd chassis.

Thanks again for your help.
I think I'll be hanging around this forum a lot :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.