• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP HD to DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i am having a difficult time understanding the process of getting a FCP HD movie onto a DVD. these are pretty long and need to be compressed. i have attempted a few times to do this through Compressor but the program just confuses me.

i have recently purchased QT 7 so i now have those options

TIA
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
coach_z said:
i am having a difficult time understanding the process of getting a FCP HD movie onto a DVD. these are pretty long and need to be compressed. i have attempted a few times to do this through Compressor but the program just confuses me.

i have recently purchased QT 7 so i now have those options

TIA
-chris
what exactly is confusing about compressor?
and what software you use to author DVD?

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i just cant seem to get it to work properly, i also do not know what settings to use to get a high quality compressed version.

i normally use toast to burn disks, i just aquired FCP HD not so long ago
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
coach_z said:
i just cant seem to get it to work properly, i also do not know what settings to use to get a high quality compressed version.

i normally use toast to burn disks, i just aquired FCP HD not so long ago
-chris

compressor is used for mpeg2 encoding. nice thing about it is that you can submit many files at the same time (batch) and encode together. you will need DVD studio pro in order to use mpeg2 for DVD.
there are some screenshots attached, they will give you an idea.

one hint, when you're done with the secuence in FCP, save it as reference QT movie (to keep the file small). then you can encode it with compressor.
note* TQ reference movies require original video files to be able to play, so do not change anything in the FCP sequences until encode is complete.

View attachment compressor.pdf

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i do have dvd studio pro so i can use that, i just normally use toast. thank you for the help and will start workin on this right now

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
one more advice, if you have DVD SP then I suppose you have A-PAC too. aiff audio (DVD PCM) from compressor takes a lot of space, so use A-PAC to encode dalby digital AC3, which is much smaller. with A-PAC you can encode up to 7 channel surround.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
to resurect this post i have ran into some problems
1) it takes me forever to export this (almost 15 hours for 1.5 hours of video)
2) it doesnt fit on a dvd..the movie file ends up being 4.7 gigs and then the sound is 1gig

how do i do this?! i am so lost :(
-chris

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
T

theDVshow

compressor won't help you when wanting to put your timeline on DVD.

Save your timeline as a standalone FCP file not a Quicktime file (quality would be less than usual). Export this file into dvd studio pro then start burning after you create your menus, etc.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
hey i just saw your website, or the site your affiliated in some way with...simply awesome....thinking about getting an xl2 and a powermac in the near future and i just read through most of you FAQ

blah...
htink you can walk me through this? remember...babysteps! :)
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.