keyboard shortcut for right click

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
although the multitouch trackpad is great on my new macbook ... i am still an old fashioned guy. is there any way I can program a keyboard key to do the function of right click? e.g Fn+F12 or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
control~click :)

OP
sachadon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
control~click :)

didn't I mention that i have a multitouch trackpad?

If you read my question carefully, i don't want to use the mouse or trackpad.... can I use the keyboard key ONLY for right click?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
didn't I mention that i have a multitouch trackpad?

If you read my question carefully, i don't want to use the mouse or trackpad.... can I use the keyboard key ONLY for right click?

My apologies ....
All i could find is

On Laptops: Right-click (like on a 2 button mouse)
(Works on newer laptops if enabled in System Preferences) Place 2 fingers on the trackpad and Click

So dont think so ..
Google is your friend :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Shortcuts for Mouse Keys

Secondary click then becomes fn+ctrl+i

(I woner why you would want anything like this. First, you position the mouse pointer using the trackpad....then, you take your fingers off the trackpad to enter your secondary click "shortcut?" You have to use the trackpad anyway.)

Reaction score
although the multitouch trackpad is great on my new macbook ... i am still an old fashioned guy. is there any way I can program a keyboard key to do the function of right click? e.g Fn+F12 or something?

I was just trying to figure a similar keyboard situation out in another thread and after some searching, I found the following program that allows us to remap the keys on the keyboard to do whatever we want.

Many Tricks · Butler

Hopefully it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
(I woner why you would want anything like this. First, you position the mouse pointer using the trackpad....then, you take your fingers off the trackpad to enter your secondary click "shortcut?" You have to use the trackpad anyway.)
Yea, sounded pretty dumb to me when i read it. But w/e...

OP
sachadon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, sounded pretty dumb to me when i read it. But w/e...

you cannot call it dumb just becoz u dont use it. I can say you are dumb for not using my method. I have been using only keyboard and never have to touch my mouse on occasions when I was using windows ... and that is for past 15 years. And I save plenty of time in doing so coz I am so used to it. Now that I am using mac ... i am trying to do the same and find it more difficult ... well if I spend 15 more years in mac then I will be able to tell you how ....

imagine u are in a textbox in a powerpoint ... you want to type 1000 as 10 (superscript)3 ... i jsut type 103 and select 3 while I am typing, right click on keyboard and by only using Alt+ key. It happens so fast that if I use mouse that will probably slow me down ... n way ... this is jut one "DUMB" example for "DUMB" from a "DUMB" person ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yes, he was out of line to say that.

But there are direct shortcuts for most anything on the Mac, if you take the time to learn them. I can't speak for PowerPoint right now, but shift-control-command-+ is the shortcut to turn superscript on and off in Keynote.

Trying to use your Mac the way you did your PC is just going to frustrate you. It may work, but you'll have to work so hard to maintain your old ways that it won't be worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.