New to Mac

Reaction score
A month ago, our family computer (Dell Inspiron) bit the dust and we were in the market for a new computer. That computer had been giving us problems for quite some time, too many problems to mention.

I had a decision to make, since I am the one that does all of the research for tech things at home and work. I was debating whether to get another PC or make the switch to a Mac. I realized that I could get an HP with tons of features(21.5 inch screen, 6 gigs of memory, 500 gb Hard drives etc...), for less than $1000 and all of my programs and files would work with it without any additional software purchases. I recently bought an HP laptop for $450 that I use for work when I travel that I like a lot. After doing a ton of research on the internet and talking with friends that work on PC's, I was leaning towards the Mac.

After giving it more thought, I was starting to re-think making a switch. My biggest concern was price. I could afford either, but was thinking about other things I wanted to buy and started to lean towards getting another PC.

After giving it even more thought, I started to remember all the problems I had with my PC's that were suppressed in my memory. I would constantly get calls from my wife or kids when the PC would freeze up or get the dreaded blue screen. I would usually be able to get it up and running again. Since I travel a lot, I wanted a computer that I didn't need to solve problems on.

The Sunday before Thanksgiving, I was going through the Best Buys flyer and saw they were giving $100 off any Mac. Bingo, that made my decision even easier. I went and picked up the Imac for $1099.00

Let me tell you how awesome this Mac is. First off, this thing was so simple to get up and running. Not to mention, my wife really likes that there are less wires to get tangled up Everything is in a compact and neat package. The display is amazing. Setting up my e-mail accounts was so easy (compared to the fun I had setting them up on my HP and my wife's Acer netbook) and stting up the printer was ridiculously easy. Even though it's a lot different than my PC's, it didn't take long to figure out how to get familiar and comfortable with this machine.

I will be getting Windows XP SP2 for it, so I can run some of my favorite programs on it.

I am happy to say that I made the right choice.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi there ftgjr...
Welcome to the forum and the MAc community. So happy to hear that your purchase was more and beyond what you expected.
Drop in from time to time and learn a great deal from the here forum.
Your search feature is a great tool here and if you still cant find your answer, post away and we will see if we can help out... :)
Congratulations

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
after 4 years of owning a mac, i still feel the same way when i get a new mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3
I, too, am the proud owner of a new Mac, and I too feel it's a beautiful machine. My only gripe is software updates! I live in the boonies where the only broadband available is through satellite, which is too expensive for my budget. The upgrade to OS 10.6.2 would have taken me an estimated 35 hours to download via my modem. Fortunately, I can pack up the Mini and take it to work and use the broadband there. It would be really nice if Apple or some third party would offer the updates on CDs or DVDs, like Netflix does movies. Anybody know of anyone who might be doing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My only gripe is software updates!

Know how you fell having lived in some pretty remote places here in Oz. As a suggestion join a MUG, Macintosh Users Group, in a capital city and post a request for the updates. I make a habit of downloading large updates only, installing, and then burning to a CD/DVD so I am sure someone will help you out.

Also inquire where you purchased your new Mac ~ many resellers are happy to do this in the hope of further business and recommendations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I, too, am the proud owner of a new Mac, and I too feel it's a beautiful machine. My only gripe is software updates! I live in the boonies where the only broadband available is through satellite, which is too expensive for my budget. The upgrade to OS 10.6.2 would have taken me an estimated 35 hours to download via my modem. Fortunately, I can pack up the Mini and take it to work and use the broadband there. It would be really nice if Apple or some third party would offer the updates on CDs or DVDs, like Netflix does movies. Anybody know of anyone who might be doing this?

I take for granted that I live in a city with conveniences like high-speed internet.
Can you DL the updates at work, burn them to a cd or dvd and take them home to install? Depends on what kind of CD/DVD drive you have at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
It's been about a month for me however the only thing I have really done is go online, email and import photos into iPhoto ...

Maybe over the holidays I'll have more time.

If I had to relearn all the stuff I do in windows and linux to do it on the Mac, I would go crazy.

So far it has been a novelty for me and I'm glad I only went for a mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3
I take for granted that I live in a city with conveniences like high-speed internet.
Can you DL the updates at work, burn them to a cd or dvd and take them home to install? Depends on what kind of CD/DVD drive you have at work.
Downloading the updates at work sounds like a great idea! I can probably download them onto a 16 GB flash drive I have. However, my other computer is still a laptop PC that I plug into their ethernet. What is Apple's software update URL where I can find the updates I need and download them? I'm assuming they're in the .dmg file format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
I too have made the migration to a quadcore imac, I do a lot of photography and the 27'' screen is a delight to work with. I still use my windows PC side by side, and also have anew HP laptop which I will replace organically with a macbook pro once it dies anatural death.

My windows PC at 4gb was no slouch, but photoshop and lightroom are VERY NOTICABLY faster on my mac..and it is a joy to use :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.