Getting from OS 10.2.9 to 10.4 and beyond Problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I held onto my OS 10.2.9 way too long because I wanted to use my Photoshop program that was accessed by Classic 9.2. Now, however, I have a new printer that won't install without OS 3.9 or later so I'm ready to give it up. I have a 10.4 Tiger installation disk from my husband's Apple, but my G4 won't even recognize it on the desktop.

Does this mean I have to locate the OS systems in-between to work up to it? Can I do a "clean install" (not sure what it is) with the Tiger disk I have? Do I just bite the bullet and buy a new 21.5 iMac with Snow Leopard?

Any help would be very much appreciated! Though I sound clueless, we've had Macs since 1982.

Thanks,
Judi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,
I can't remember if os 2.9 can read DVDs or not, but that could certainly be why your mac isn't recognizing the Tiger DVD.

A clean install will completely erase and reformat your hard drive. So make sure to back up your information on external sources before you do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

The installation disc from hubby's Mac is known as s system install disc and no doubt is a silver grey colour and sadly will work ON LY with his model Mac. You need to locate a full retail install DVD from used sites such as eBay, but do n ot buy any so called update, upgrade or drop in discs as they shall also be model specific.

This is the disc you need but they are never ever cheap:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-OSX-10-4-Ti...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0e5f058a

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.